South Boston Neighborhood House
South Boston Neighborhood House was founded in 1901 as the South Boston Day Nursery through the efforts of a group of women that included Mrs. William Dewart, Olivia Buckminster James and Marian J. Homans. Gradually adding more and more educational and recreational programs, the nursery was renamed Olivia James House ("the Ollie") in 1935. A year later a gymnasium, kitchen, and print shop was added. During the 1940s, under the guidance of Mary Mooney Perry and Vincent Connors, the Friendly Circle for the Blind, road racing, wrestling, boxing, and gymnastic activities were established, as were youth programs, including a summer camp, musical reviews, dances, and pet shows. Homans House, which operated from 1945 until the early 1960s, served the eastern end of South Boston.