This page is a work in progress. Please check back in the future for more information!
There are a few simple things you can do to help manage and preserve your organization's records:
- Document your activities: save meeting minutes, flyers, and publications.
- Keep records in one central place.
- Store physical records away from dampness, dust, and excessive heat and sun.
- Think about how you manage your electronic records: are they saved in a central location such as a shared Google Drive account? who has access to it? do you have a system for organizing the files?
- Develop a routine of transferring records when new leadership takes over. Avoid having to "reinvent the wheel" when there is turnover in leadership!
- Have ideas or information you want future organization leaders to know? Create a document! Consider writing yearly reflections.
- Designate among your leadership a position responsible for organizing files and creating a folder structure. Perhaps this could be your group's historian, secretary, or vice president.
To quote our friends at the University of Illinois Student Life and Culture Archives... "When in doubt, don't throw it out!"