General Introductions to Islamic Law
Basic Introductory Texts:
- Joseph Schacht, Introduction to Islamic Law. Law School: Islamic Ref KBP144 .S34x 1964 & MOSLEM 903 SCH.
- Noel J. Coulson. A history of Islamic law. Law School: MOSLEM 905 COU57 1997
- Knut Vikør. Between God and the sultan : a history of Islamic law. Law School: Islamic Ref KBP50 .V55x 2005
- Mūʾil Yūsuf ʻIzz al-Dīn. Islamic law : from historical foundations to contemporary practice. Law School: Islamic Ref KBP144 .D54 2004
- Judith E. Tucker. Women, family, and gender in Islamic law: KBP526.3.T83 2008 http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:hul.ebook:NLIB_254485
- Chibli Mallat. "From Islamic to Middle Eastern law: a restatement of the field." American Journal of Comparative Law 51.4 (Fall 2003): 699-750 (Part I) and American Journal of Comparative Law 52.1 (Wntr 2004): 209-286. (Part II).
- Amira El-Azhary Sonbol. Shari'ah and state formation: historical perspective.Chicago Journal of International Law 8.1 (Summer 2007): 59-83.
- Hisham M. Ramadan, . "Toward honest and principled Islamic law scholarship.(The Future of Islamic Scholarship)." Michigan State Law Review 2006.6 (Dec 31, 2006): 1573-1607
Basic Treatises on Islamic Family Law
Islamic family law in a changing world : a global resource book. (Abdullahi A. An-Na’im, ed.) Islamic Ref MOSLEM 913 ISL36 2002 [Copies 1-2]
Tahir Mahmood. Statutes of personal law in Islamic countries: history, texts and analysis. Islamic Ref MOSLEM 913 MAH66 1995
Dawoud El Alami & Doreen Hinchcliffe. Islamic marriage and divorce laws of the Arab world. Islamic Ref KMC160 .E4 1996
David Pearl. Muslim family law. Islamic Ref MOSLEM 913 PEA75 1998
Harvard Law Library
410 Areeda Hall
Cambridge, MA 02138
Harvard Law Library
Areeda Hall 195
Any group of 5 or more law students can order customized research classes by completing this form and we will call or email you to set the date and time.
Contact Suzanne Wones, Assistant Director for Research, Curriculum & Publication, with a description of your topic and some times you are available.