Chat with us
How to use this guide
This guide contains selected free online legal research resources. These resources can be a great way to get started with your research when you don't have access to paid databases or if you want to get an overview of a topic before getting started with potentially expensive searches.
1. Primary Federal Law : Selected resources for free access to U.S. federal cases, statutes, regulations and more.
2. Primary State Law : Selected resources for free access to state cases, statutes and regulations with advice on how to find free resources for other state and local materials.
3. Treaties : Find the text of U.S. and International treaties online.
4. Foreign & International Law : Find resources for getting started with foreign and international legal research, including primary documents and secondary sources.
5. Secondary Sources : Find a range of secondary sources and legal periodicals for free online.
6. Empirical Sources: Find freely available data sets with data on the U.S. and the rest of the world.
7. Getting Help : If you get stuck with your research, chap with a librarian in the chat box to the left or refer to the Getting Help tab.
Emerging Technologies & Research Librarian
Areeda Hall 504
Suggest a Resource
Did we miss a great resource for free online legal research? Let us know! Submit a link below: