Major sources of statistical data for United States elementary, secondary, and higher education. Many are produced by the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) and draw from surveys done by the NCES, the U.S. Census Bureau, and other government and private agencies.
- Rankings and Estimates: Rankings of the States and Estimates of School Statistics
(2004-) State rankings for K-12 indicators, including enrollment, teachers, and school revenue and expenditures.
- Estimates of School Statistics
1958-1973, 1977-1998. Available only in print.
- Rankings of the States
1973, 1978-1997. Available only in print.
- State Comparisons of Education Statistics 1969-70 to 1996-97
(2,376KB pdf) State comparisons of enrollment, graduation, achievement, staffing, and finance statistics over a 27-year period.
- State Education Data Profiles
Compare data about demographics and K-12 and post-secondary education for up to four states.
- Child Care & Early Education Research Connections
Provides links to data sets on child care and other early childhood indicators.
- Common Core of Data (CCD)
Comprehensive annual statistics covering all U.S. public elementary and secondary schools and school districts. Includes a build-a-table feature.
- Higher Education General Information Survey (HEGIS)
Data on enrollment, program completions, finances, and institutional characteristics for public and private postsecondary institutions from the mid 1960s through the mid 1980s.
- Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Institution-level data on enrollment, program completions, faculty, staff, and finances for public and private postsecondary institutions from the late 1980s to present.
- School District Demographics System
Geographic and demographic data by school district. Can generate customized data tables, maps, and snapshot reports.
- Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS)
Four core annual surveys covering schools, teachers, principals, and school districts.
- 120 Years of American Education: A Statistical Portrait (3,122KB pdf) - Education statistics for elementary, secondary, and higher education from 1870 – 1990.
Print edition: Gutman Education Ref LB2846.O54 1993
- American Education 1870 – 1991: A Statistical Handbook - Another compilation of education statistics for elementary, secondary, and higher education from 1870 – 1990.
Print edition: Gutman Education Ref LA205.A44 1993
- Annual Report of the Commissioner of Education - Annual statistical report from the Department of Education (name varies). In addition to the standard indicators, includes statistics on city and state school systems as well as chapters on a wide variety of education topics.
1867/68-1983, 1989/90 available in print: Gutman Education L111.A31 (Note: title varies)
- Historical Statistics of the United States (1789-) - Broad range of historical U.S. demographic, political, and social statistics.
Print edition: Gutman Education Ref HA202.H57 2006