Chat with us
How to use this guide
This guide contains selected free online legal research resources. These resources can be a great way to get started with your research when you don't have access to paid databases or if you want to get an overview of a topic before getting started with potentially expensive searches.
1. Primary Federal Law : Selected resources for free access to U.S. federal cases, statutes, regulations and more.
2. Primary State Law : Selected resources for free access to state cases, statutes and regulations with advice on how to find free resources for other state and local materials.
3. Treaties : Find the text of U.S. and International treaties online.
4. Foreign & International Law : Find resources for getting started with foreign and international legal research, including primary documents and secondary sources.
5. Secondary Sources : Find a range of secondary sources and legal periodicals for free online.
6. Empirical Sources: Find freely available data sets with data on the U.S. and the rest of the world.
7. Getting Help : If you get stuck with your research, chap with a librarian in the chat box to the left or refer to the Getting Help tab.
Emerging Technologies & Research Librarian
Areeda Hall 504
As the Emerging Technologies and Research Librarian, Carli Spina teaches classes on legal research and technology topics, conducts research consultations, develops guides to both substantive law and technological topics, and works on a wide range of web projects for the Harvard Law School Library.
Disability Law; Intellectual Property Law
Suggest a Resource
Did we miss a great resource for free online legal research? Let us know! Submit a link below: