Chat with us
Search the HOLLIS catalog
Search HOLLIS Classic
This guide provides basic introductory information about each of the international courts and tribunals listed. Some of these tribunals are now defunct. Please note that this guide does not include every single international tribunal that currently exists.
Where possible, links have been provided to where documents of each court can be found, in both online and print format. Generally, the 19th edition of the The Bluebook prefers the print compilations to the online versions, where possible, but it does not include preferred citation formats for each of the tribunals included.
Please note that the Harvard Law Library also has a research guide on war crimes, created by Trinie Thai-Parker.
When you start conducting international legal research, you will start to see a lot of acronyms before you. Listed below are some of the common abbreviations you may see, in terms of international courts and tribunals.
- ACJ = African Court of Justice
- ECCC = Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia
- ECJ = European Court of Justice
- ECHR = European Court of Human Rights
- IACHR = Inter-American Court of Human Rights
- ICC = International Criminal Court
- ICJ = International Court of Justice
- ICTR = International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
- ICTY = International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia
- ITLOS = International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea
- PCIJ = Permanent Court of International Justice
- SCSL = Special Court for Sierra Leone
Harvard Law Library
506 Areeda Hall
Cambridge, MA 02138