Locating music for individual songs can be a challenge since many anthologies and collections don't have complete contents listings in HOLLIS+. This guide provides quick access to the Harvard Library resources that will be most helpful for performers and researchers looking for single songs.
Looking for something further? Contact Kerry Masteller for a personalized suggestion.
Searching: First Steps
- Search HOLLIS+ for the title of the song.
- If it's from a musical or opera, look for the score of the complete work, too (e.g.: to find copies of "Ol' Man River," also try searching for Show Boat).
- Limit your search to scores to find only printed music.
- If you're browsing for song collections, other helpful subject keywords include terms like these (you don't need to include the punctuation):
- Musicals -- Vocal scores
- Operas -- Excerpts [or Musicals -- Excerpts]
- Songs (Medium voice) with piano [and so on, for different voice ranges]
- Popular songs
- Songs, English [or other language]
Scores and Sheet Music
To find many other collections, search for a composer's name, keywords like "operas excerpts," or search for the title keywords "art songs" in HOLLIS+, and limit your results to scores.
Digital sheet music collections are good places to look for nineteenth and early twentieth century songs. The collections listed below are a starting point for finding online scores.
Online Resources for Music Scholars: Digital Scores includes links to many other sites. Look for words like Sheet Music, Songs, or Singing in the title or description.