Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Alternative Dispute Resolution Research

Information about researching common ADR methodologies, including arbitration, negotiation, mediation, and more.

Overview: UN Labor and Employment Disputes

United Nations logoSince 2009, internal resolution of UN labor disputes has taken place through the UN Internal Justice System, which is managed by the UN Office of Administration of Justice.

In this system, UN employees who have a dispute are encouraged to use ADR methodologies, rather than litigation, to resolve their work-disputes. This is facilitated by the UN Ombudsman and Mediation Services.

UN employees also have additional options for seeing a formal resolution of their work-related disputes.

  • If a UN employee wants to contest an administrative decision that impacts his or her work, he or she may do so through requesting a management evaluation.
  • If the management evaluation is unsatisfactory, then the employee may apply to designated UN Tribunals (the Dispute Tribunal and the Appeals Tribunal) to hold a hearing and issue a ruling on his or her grievance.

During the tribunal process, the employee is eligible to receive legal counsel from the Office of Staff Legal Assistance.

Research Materials

Information and Commentary