Contact the research librarians
Gutman librarians are available to answer your questions Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm EST.
Email: Use our Ask Us form
Drop in at the main desk on Gutman's 2nd floor: Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm EST
Need more in-depth research help? Make a virtual appointment to work with a research librarian.
To schedule a time, use the Gutman Library Research Appointment tool.
Install Lean Library
Find scholarly articles & books
Ex: Effectiveness of four instructional programs designed to serve English learners
Ex: "educational leadership" equity handbook*
Understand the big picture
Use handbook chapters and literature review articles to:
- Get an overview of a new or complex topic
- Find out the names of key authors in a given area
- Locate terms that you can use in your research
- Help narrow (or expand) your topic
- Locate a bibliography of sources to help you start your research
Search tip: Add handbook* or "literature review*" to your search terms.
Search subject databases
It's okay to begin with Google or HOLLIS, but then switch to specialized databases to find the best research from your discipline(s).
Use our "3-in-1" search for education-related topics:
Manage and cite my research
Use Zotero to:
- create reference lists in APA and other formats
- create a searchable database of your research
- import citations, abstracts, and more from online sources
- organize notes and full text documents, such as PDFs, images, spreadsheets
Begin in HOLLIS to find books and articles available through the Harvard Library.
In HOLLIS but not available online?
- Use the "Scan & Deliver" or "Interlibrary Loan" link on the HOLLIS record to request digital copies of articles and book chapters (only two chapters per book). Learn more about Scan & Deliver | Learn more about interlibrary loan
Not in HOLLIS or not available at Harvard?