Important: EndNote Mac Users!
Endnote versions earlier than EndNote 9.3 are 32-bit and will not run on Catalina. If you wish to upgrade to Catalina you'll need to upgrade to EndNote X9.3 also. Please see EndNote's website for more information, including a 50% discount on EndNote X9.3. (FAS affiliates can download EndNote X9.3 for free from the FAS downloads page.)
What is EndNote?
EndNote is probably the most sophisticated of the citation tool options. The user interface is highly customizable and very robust. However, it may take a bit longer to learn than other tools and the most full-featured version usually costs money, but there's an educational discount for Harvard students.
Strengths of EndNote:
- Can handle large collections of citations
- Has unlimited storage space
- Many library databases offer a direct export option for EndNote
- Has professional technical support
- PDFs can be viewed and annotated directly in EndNote
- Especially good for life sciences
Getting Started with EndNote
- All Harvard:
- Harvard ID holders can get an education discount through HUIT's third-party web store managed by OntheHub network.
- Anyone can try EndNote without purchase- check out their 30-day trial.
- Mac Catalina adopters who already have EndNote X8 or earlier: contact EndNote for 50% off an upgrade.
- FAS affiliates:
- FAS students, faculty, and staff can download EndNote free of charge from the FAS software downloads page.
- Register with EndNote Online
- Set up Find Full Text
- Set up OpenURL
Use EndNote at Harvard
Using EndNote with HOLLIS
Import (add) citations from HOLLIS.
Using EndNote Find Full Text at Harvard
How to actually find the full text for article references you've imported.
HOLLIS connection file
The HOLLIS connection file allows you to search HOLLIS directly from within EndNote (books and journals only. Articles are not searched in EndNote's internal search). Please be aware that searching HOLLIS and other databases directly takes advantage of their usually superior search algorithms and allows the user to more closely control the search. The user can also see more information about each citation before choosing to export to EndNote. However, if you would like to use the HOLLIS connection file to search from within EndNote, please use the Help Form to request the connection file. Available to Harvard affiliates only.
EndNote Classes at Harvard
February 27, 2020
1:30-2:45pm Lamont B30
FAS Libraries have no other Spring sessions planned at this time. For one-on-one help, Harvard affiliates can fill out our Citation Tools Help form to get in touch with us.
Countway Library at Harvard Medical School has some upcoming sessions, which should be posted here soon.
Getting Help with EndNote
EndNote offers excellent support tools. There are video tutorials and webinars for task-based support, and a thorough technical question FAQ. EndNote also maintains an extensive knowledge base that can be mined for answers to more obscure problems.