Important: EndNote Alerts
1. Endnote's link resolver for Endnote X9 is incompatible with Harvard Library's. The Find Full Text feature will not work for Harvard Library licensed subscriptions.HL users can still retrieve Open Access full text and download pdfs to import to Endnote from your desktop.
2. Mac users: Endnote versions earlier than EndNote 9.3 are 32-bit and will not run on Catalina. If you wish to upgrade to Catalina you'll need to upgrade to EndNote X9.3 also. Please see EndNote's website for more information. (FAS affiliates can download EndNote X9.3 for free from the FAS downloads page.)
What is EndNote?
EndNote is probably the most sophisticated of the citation tool options. The user interface is highly customizable and very robust. However, it may take a bit longer to learn than other tools and the most full-featured version usually costs money, but there's an educational discount for Harvard students.
Strengths of EndNote:
- Can handle large collections of citations
- Has unlimited storage space
- Many library databases offer a direct export option for EndNote
- Has professional technical support
- PDFs can be viewed and annotated directly in EndNote
- Especially good for life sciences
Getting Started with EndNote
- All Harvard:
- FAS affiliates:
- FAS students, faculty, and staff can download EndNote free of charge from the FAS software downloads page.
- Register with EndNote Online
- Set up Find Full Text
- Set up OpenURL
Use EndNote at Harvard
Using EndNote with HOLLIS
Import (add) citations from HOLLIS.
Using EndNote Find Full Text at Harvard
How to actually find the full text for article references you've imported.
HOLLIS connection file
The HOLLIS connection file allows you to search HOLLIS directly from within EndNote (Books and journals only. Articles are not searched in EndNote's internal search.).
Please be aware that searching HOLLIS and other databases directly (rather than from within EndNote) takes advantage of their usually superior search algorithms and allows the user to more closely control the search. The user can also see more information about each citation before choosing to export to EndNote.
However, if you would like to use the HOLLIS connection file to search from within EndNote, you can download it from the Harvard Wiki EndNote Connection File page.
EndNote Classes at Harvard
EndNote Essentials online workshop - use the links below to register for the class and receive the Zoom link:
We do not plan to offer EndNote classes in the fall 2021 semester. If you would like to learn about EndNote, please submit an inquiry to the Citation Tools Help form in this guide.
Virtual Help with EndNote
EndNote offers excellent support tools. These include video tutorials and research guides for task-based support as well as a thorough technical question FAQ. See our EndNote Help page for more specific links and tips.
Sample starter videos:
- How to Use EndNote in Six Minutes: macOS
- How to Use EndNote in Six Minutes: Windows
- Setting Up Group Sharing in Windows Desktop
- Working with Cite While You Write (X8)
They also have a tradition of excellent service by phone and email. You can also contact Harvard librarians through the Citation Tools help form for help from us via email or for a research appointment (during extended business hours, Eastern time, weekdays).