Setting up EndNote Find Full Text (X3 and later)
The Find Full Text feature in EndNote works with your Harvard Key to access licensed articles. To enable EndNote to retrieve Harvard-licensed full-text documents, you’ll need to set up the Find Full Text options under the ‘Preferences’ menu. For best results, also set up the OpenURL features (instructions). To retrieve documents after you’ve followed these steps, simply highlight the references for which you’d like full text and run Find Full Text.
To set up Find Full Text:
- From the 'Edit’ Menu (Or EndNote menu with Mac OS), choose ’Preferences …'
- Choose 'Find Full Text' from the choices on the left.
- Check all four of the boxes for full text search options.
- For 'OpenURL Path,' enter: https://hollis.harvard.edu/openurl/01HVD/HVD_URL?
- For 'Authentication URL,' enter:
- http://ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/login?url=http://www.jstor.org (Harvard Key)
To use Find Full Text, either pull down the ‘References’ menu and choose the ‘Find Full Text’ command, or right click on a reference and choose it. For each session, the first time you launch Find Full Text, EndNote opens a mini browser window where you can authenticate with either a Harvard Key or an eCommons account. NOTE: If you are on a Mac, once you've logged in successfully, you can close the window or press "Continue." If you are on a Windows machine, please follow the instructions in the box below.
If you notice that EndNote does not seem to return good results for finding full text, please be aware that we are working with EndNote to figure out how much full text it should be able to retrieve in order to better assess and troubleshoot this issue.
Full-Text for EndNote Users on Windows Machines
EndNote users on Windows machines will notice that when they try to go through the authentication process for retrieving full text, after they enter their Harvard Key, they will be brought to an error screen such as the one below:
Finally, after completing two-step authentication on their DUO device, the login screen resolves to the landing page specified by the login URL (Countway or JSTOR). Users may have to click "Yes" several more times before being successfully logged in. They can now click “Continue" at the bottom of the login window to close it.
This is a temporary workaround for a difficult technical issue, and we are trying to find a better solution for Windows users. When a better solution is found, it will be posted on this page.
Setting Up OpenURL (Find It @ Harvard in EndNote)
- Set this feature up in EndNote preferences. From the ‘Edit’ menu, choose ‘Preferences…’.
- Choose ‘URLs & Links’ from the choices on the left.
- Replace the text in the ‘ISI Base URL’ box with the following URL: https://hollis.harvard.edu/openurl/01HVD/HVD_URL?
- Leave the ‘Arguments’ unchanged.
- To use OpenURL, go to your library and open a reference. From the ‘References’ menu, choose ‘OpenURL Link’. A ‘Find It @ Harvard’ window will open with Harvard access choices, if any exist.