EndNote Basic is the online-only version of EndNote.
- is free
- Manages references in an online library
- Creates bibliographies in Word documents (using a limited number of citation styles)
- Synchronizes your library across devices including iPad (using EndNote app).
- Is recommended for those who particularly like the interface and want the advantages of a Web-based library
- Is not as robust a tool as the desktop version
- Is not as robust an online system as some other tools
Harvard users have access to EndNote Basic and need not purchase EndNote to use it (EndNote Basic does not involve the desktop version). EndNote Basic does not let you transfer attached PDF files.
To begin using EndNote Basic:
- Go to the EndNote Online site through the Harvard proxy server.
- Sign up for an account by following the "Sign Up" link.
- In EndNote Basic, download the Cite While You Write plug in from the "Format" tab from the main library view.
- Instructions for using EndNote Basic are available on an extensive Help page which is available from a link in the upper right hand corner of the EndNote Basic page. Since EndNote Online refers to both the Basic and desktop-related versions, note that not all features will be available.
- To use EndNote Basic with Word or LibreOffice, see EndNote Online and Cite While You Write.
EndNote Online for EN Desktop Users
Individual licenses to EndNote include a personal 2-year license to an EndNote Online account that allows syncing across devices and sharing. Although only one library can be synchronized with a single EndNote Online account, there is no limit to the number of machines that may have synchronized copies of that library.
To begin using EndNote Online:
1. Register through the "Sync" section of the the EndNote Preferences (under the Edit menu in Windows, or under the EndNote menu on a Mac). On pre-X6 versions, this is labeled EndNote Online). Clicking on the Sync tool in the EndNote tool bar will initiate registration, too.
2. Once your account is established, set up EndNote Online in the EndNote Preferences. Use the email address and password that you established in setting up your EndNote Online account. In the Sync Library box, choose the library you would like to synchronize with the EndNote Online account.
4. To use EndNote Basic with Word or LibreOffice, see EndNote Online and Cite While You Write.
EndNote Online and Cite While You Write (Word integration)
To use EndNote's Word integration (no matter what version of EN you're using), you must tell Word about your EN Online account with the Cite While You Write plugin.
- In Word for Windows, click on the Preferences tool on the right of the EndNote tool pane. In Word for the Mac, choose the Cite While You Write Preferences from the EndNote Tool menu.
- Under Application, choose EndNote Online.
- Enter your username and password.
- If you want to see Find It @ Harvard links when you connect to EndNote Online, replace the URL with one that routes through the Harvard proxy server (3): http://www.myendnoteweb.com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu.