Find topics and start your research by browsing the resources listed below and searching HOLLIS for archival and other material.
General Harvard histories
- A Century to Celebrate: Radcliffe College, 1879-1979 by Dorothy Ella Howells.Cambridge: Radcliffe College, 1978.
- The Development of Harvard University Since the Inauguration of President Eliot, 1869-1929 (Find It @ Harvard) edited by Samuel Eliot Morison. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1930.
- The Founding of Harvard College (Find It @ Harvard) by Samuel Eliot Morison. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1935. (Reprint, with a new foreword by Hugh Hawkins, Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1995.
- Harvard A to Z (Find It @ Harvard) by John T. Bethell, Richard M. Hunt and Robert Shenton. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2004.
- The Harvard Book: A Series of Historical, Biographical, and Descriptive Sketches... edited by Henry Clark and F.O. Vaille. Two volumes. Cambridge: Welch, Bigelow and Company, 1875.
- Harvard College in the Seventeenth Century (Find It @ Harvard) by Samuel Eliot Morison. Two volumes. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1936.
- Harvard Observed: An Illustrated History of the University in the Twentieth Century (Find It @ Harvard) by John T. Bethell. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1998.
- Harvard University Handbook: An Official Guide to the grounds, buildings, libraries, museums, and laboratories, with notes on the history, development and activities of all departments of the University. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1936.
- The History of Harvard University by Josiah Quincy. Cambridge: Published by John Owen, 1840.
- Making Harvard Modern: The Rise of America's University by Morton Keller and Phyllis Keller. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Three Centuries of Harvard, 1636-1936 (Find It @ Harvard) by Samuel Eliot Morison. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1936.
A Calendar of Harvard History (requires Harvard network connection)
This Calendar provides access to information about people, events, policies, academic and extracurricular student life, and other activities at Harvard from 1636 to the present. It is searchable by date and keyword.
Browse the guides for information and sources about a variety of topics relating to Harvard history.
The Harvard-Radcliffe Online Historical Reference Shelf contains digitized versions of the annual reports of the presidents and treasurers of Harvard and Radcliffe, 1826–1995, narrative histories, official University publications, student and alumni publications, information about Cambridge buildings, and more.
Harvard University Catalogs
The Harvard University Archives collects two categories of websites: sites created by Schools, departments, and administrative units throughout the University (A-Sites), and sites created by the broader Harvard community, including faculty, students, visiting scholars, and staff (H-Sites). The Archives has been collecting websites since 2007.