Library Reserves Quick Start
How to Set Up Your Reserves List
- Log in to Canvas to start managing your course reserves lists
- Reuse an existing course list or create a new one.
- Add items or delete items from your list from within Canvas, HOLLIS, Cite It!, or your own content. You can also request an item for digitization or purchase.
- Send your finished list to library staff to process your request.
- Publish your list to make it viewable by your students.
Fall 2021 Updates
Harvard Library will continue to offer expanded digital course reserves services for Fall 2021.
To request digital reserves for an entire book:
- Instructors should submit all book requests via the Canvas reading list.
- Library staff will look for existing online versions or scan books that will be made available to students for 3-hour online loan periods.
- Please note that requests for book scanning can take up to 4 weeks. If you include a date-needed-by in your request, we will do our best to accommodate more urgently needed materials.
To request digital reserves for a chapter or an article:
- Use this course materials digitization form to request chapters or articles.
To request physical reserves for an entire book:
- In your reserves list in Canvas, navigate to the item that you want us to place on physical reserves.
- Select "Add public note." Add the text, "Place on Physical Reserves." Click the green "Save" button.
- Learn more about placing a book on physical reserve.