Why Use Zotero?
Keep all of your research and citations in one place
Format fewer citations by hand
Work with anyone in the world, anytime
No cost even after you leave Harvard
Install & Set Preferences
Follow these 10 Steps
- Using Chrome or Firefox, go to Zotero.org/download. (It is recommended to use Zotero with Chrome and Firefox though connectors are also available for Safari and Edge.)
- Download Zotero.
- Install the Zotero Connector for your browser of choice
- Create a Zotero.org account using your Harvard email address. (If you do not receive a prompt, go to
Zotero.org/user/register. Registering with a Harvard email address provides free unlimited cloud storage.)
- Open the Zotero application on your computer. On a PC: In the Edit menu, select Preferences. On a Mac: In the Zotero menu, select Preferences
- In the General tab, uncheck Automatically tag items with keywords and subject heading.
- In the Sync tab, add your username & password
- In the Cite tab, open the Word Processors tab & check the box next to Use Classic Add Citation dialog.
- In the Advanced tab, in the Open URL Resolver box, input this URL: https://hollis.harvard.edu/openurl/01HVD/HVD_URL?
- Also in the Advanced tab, change the Zotero language to English if your computer is set to another language.
After completing the installation, we recommend opening Word to make sure your Zotero tools have been added. If you do not see the Zotero tab, you may have to close and re-open Word and Zotero before it appears. In Google Docs, click on the Zotero to follow directions to connect Zotero to your Google account.
Zotero Installation & Setup Videos
Zotero Setup Screenshots
Steps 7-10 Visualized: Zotero Preferences & Word Tool Installation
7. In the General tab, uncheck Automatically tag items with keywords and subject headings.
8. In the Sync tab, add your username & password and click on Set Up Syncing.
9. In the Cite tab, open the Word Processors tab and check the box next to Use Classic Add Citation dialog.
10. In the Advanced tab, change the Zotero language to English if your computer is set to another language.