Senior Theses Session
Many more history of science resources: The Library Research Guide for the History of Science
General historical and contextual resources Library Research Guide for History
Getting What You Need section of this guide helps you gain access to anything that isn't as simple as clicking through.
Searching in HOLLIS
To find books, periodicals, manuscripts, videos, etc., on a topic in HOLLIS, put in likely keywords and choose Library Catalog. Look at pertinent records and find the terms under Subject. For example, searching "Vietnam war" medical yields
Officer, nurse, woman: the Army Nurse Corps in the Vietnam War, by Kara Dixon Vuic. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2010, 271 p.
United States. Army Nurse Corps -- History -- 20th century
Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Medical care -- United States
Military nursing -- United States -- History -- 20th century
Military nursing -- Vietnam -- History -- 20th century
Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Women -- United States
Women and war
United States - Army Nurse Corps.
Military Nursing - history
Note that there are two sets of Subject terms for medicine.
- Library of Congress labeled: Subject
- National Library of Medicine (called MeSH) labeled Med. subject
Under Refine my results: Subject on the right of the results list there are more main terms (Military medicine, Military nursing, Physicians) to try. NOTE: If you hit one of the terms in this Subject list, HOLLIS will find records with the term, say "Military nursing", only on records in the set originally formed by searching "Vietnam War" medical
Redo your search using the terms that HOLLIS uses. Also, go to Starts with.../Browse (top black band) and put in Military medicine adjusting to Browse by Subject. This is very useful in breaking down a large subject and in giving you more subdivisions (the words after the --), which can be applied to other Subject terms.
Whenever you have a reference to a useful book, look it up in HOLLIS and see what the Subject terms are.
These terms can be searched in combination with the names of wars and other subjects:
- Medical care
- Health aspects
- Psychological aspects
- Moral & ethical aspects
- Medical aspects
Any pertinent book published during your era may be a primary source, but certain kinds of primary sources, including originally unpublished sources such as letters and diaries published later, have particular terms attached to their Subject terms in a HOLLIS record. Change Any field to Subject for cleanest results.
- --Description and travel
- --Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
- --Personal narratives (refers to accounts of wars and diseases only)
- --Sources (usually refers to collections of published primary sources)
Subject contains: "Vietnam War" OR "Vietnam Conflict"
Subject contains: Archives OR Correspondence OR Diaries OR Manuscripts OR Sources OR Narratives
Subject contains: Physicians OR Nurses
When you find a pertinent book, go to Starts With.../Browse and put in the call number, adjusting the menu to Library of Congress (Wid-LC) or Other. This shows you other books on the same subject, even though they may be in storage or checked out.
Exploring Your Topic
- Advanced search for Subject Term, keywords encyclopedia* OR companion OR handbook*
- Subject term won't always be what you expect which is why it's good to explore: Encyclopedia of the History of Science in Non-Western Cultures
Other types to search for: companions, guides
Subject encyclopedias may yield personal names. Look for them in HOLLIS
- Pay attention to natural language and proper names
- What kinds of sources are used?
- What kinds of sources can you imagine?
Primary Sources page of this guide: Kinds of Primary Sources
Outline of Primary Sources for History lists kinds of primary sources and offers links to sample HOLLIS searches and to information in the History and other research guides.
- Web of science, 1900- . (Revivifying old bibliographies)
- PubMed (1946- )and Index Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon General's Office
- Other Academic Disciplines
- Trade and Professional
- Original collections
- Finding Primary Sources Online offers general instructions for finding primary sources online and a list of resources by region and country
- Online Primary Source Collections for the History of Science lists digital collections at Harvard and beyond by topic.
- Online Primary Source Collections for History lists digital collections at Harvard and beyond by topic.
- Find digital collections with Google Advanced Search
HathiTrust Digital Library includes a searchable database of digitized books and periodicals contributed by numerous libraries. Includes items contributed by these libraries to Google Books and to Internet Archive but with some unique material. Each full text item is linked to a standard library catalog record, thus providing good metadata. The catalog can be searched separately. Globally full text searchable, like Google Books and Internet Archive. More on HathiTrust and Internet Archive
Use contemporary language, personal names
Internet Archive collection: Medical Officer of Health reports