Digital Accessibility Policy
Harvard LibGuide owners must be sure their LibGuides comply with the Harvard University Digital Accessibility Policy.
LibGuides that are created or undergo substantial revisions or redesign on or after 12/1/2019 are expected to conform to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, version 2.1, Level AA Conformance ("WCAG 2.1 AA).
Following the practices outlined below will help bring your LibGuides into compliance and also ensure that people who use screen readers or other assistive technologies will have an equitable experience of your content.
Where to start
An audit of Harvard LibGuides identified the most common accessibility issues that may need to be addressed. LibGuide owners should review their guides to confirm that they:
- Provide closed captioning for videos
- Provide transcripts for audio files
- Provide alternative text for images unless the image is merely decorative
Guide owners should also be sure that they:
- Use meaningful and consistent text for link names
- Use html headings rather than font size or boldface to indicate sections of a page
- Prioritize work on your most heavily-used guides by looking at usage statistics
- Temporarily "unpublish" guides that need revision until you can work on them
Test Your Guide
- Visit Testing Your Guide.
Contact the User Research Center