Digitized works from the Warren Anatomical Museum
Digitized works in the Medical Heritage Library create a window into the historical and modern collections of the Warren Anatomical Museum. Not all of the specimens and objects listed in the below works have survived into modernity but museum staff can check if objects of interest are extant.
- J. B. S. Jackson’s 1870 Descriptive Catalogue of the Warren Anatomical Museum describes the first 3,681 cases of the Warren Anatomical Museum. Jackson was the Museum’s first curator, serving from 1847 to his death in 1879.
- Jackson was also curator of the Boston Society for Medical Improvement’s pathological cabinet and authored their 1847 A Descriptive Catalogue of the Anatomical Museum of the Boston Society for Medical Improvement. That collection was later merged into the Warren by Jackson circa 1875.
- The oldest published artifact catalogue associated with the Warren Anatomical Museum is the 1835 A Catalogue of Phrenological Specimens, belonging to the Boston Phrenological Society. John Collins Warren purchased the Boston Phrenological Society’s collection and donated its plaster casts to Harvard Medical School with the rest of his eponymous museum in 1847.
- The Warren Museum’s second curator, William Fiske Whitney, contributed two pamphlets to the museum’s published legacy.
- The first is the 1910 Bulletin of the Warren Anatomical Museum. The Bulletin was meant to be an ongoing series dedicated to different areas of the museum’s collection but funding was only secured for the first volume.
- Whitney also authored the 1911 The Warren Anatomical Museum of the Harvard Medical School and the Arrangement of its Collection. The short work illuminates the museum’s collection after its installation in the top three floors of the Medical School’s Building A, the focal point of school’s newly completed campus in 1906.