Writing at the GSD
The GSD’s Writing Services provides one-on-one peer tutoring, workshops, handouts, tutorials, and other resources for strengthening skills related to academic and career documents. The website also has resources for developing more efficient time management, planning, and reading strategies.
Harvard Sites for Writers
Citation Styles and Manuals
This is the citation style most commonly requested by faculty at the GSD for the formatting of cited references in student papers.
This guide includes manuscript preparation guidelines, information on style and usage, and detailed information on the two Chicago documentation styles: Notes and Bibliography, and Author-Date reference.
Please check with your faculty member on the preferred form.
Other citations styles that might be requested include:
Documenting and Citing Non-Print Material
- create a searchable database of the books, articles, book chapters, and more that you're using in your research
- import citations, abstracts, and more from online sources
- organize notes and full text documents, such as PDFs, images, spreadsheets
- share references when you're working on collaborative projects
- create reference lists in Chicago and other formats
To learn more and for a list of upcoming classes, visit:
The Literature Review
Database search tip: Add the phrase "literature review" to your search to find published literature reviews.