Consult an official guide for the style you are using to write your paper. There is no HKS school-wide policy that mandates a certain citation style for student papers, so if you are unsure, we recommend checking with the individual faculty member who assigned your paper to determine if they have a required or preferred citation style.
The Chicago Manual of Style
The Chicago Manual of Style is a popular citation style for the social sciences.
APA (American Psychological Association) Style
The American Psychological Association style, referred to as APA, is also used in the social sciences.
The Communications Program at HKS recommends AP Style for non-academic writing such as blog postings, op-eds and news stories.
Many resources like HOLLIS and article databases will offer you citation information for individual articles and books, formatted according to various citation styles. When using this functionality, please remember to check these citations for accuracy before including them in your work.
Instead of relying on these static—and potentially faulty—citations, however, we recommend that you use citation management software that can help you automate the process of keeping your citations up to date, even if you need to make changes. At HKS, the recommended citation management tool is Zotero.
- Harvard's Academic Resource Center is open to HKS students. No referral is necessary to use their services.
- The Harvard Guide to Using Sources, from the (undergraduate) Harvard College Writing Program, contains helpful hints on writing with sources, avoiding plagiarism, and using and citing other people’s research.
- Finding Your Voice is an online resource from Harvard Library specifically designed for graduate and professional students.
- Your friendly librarians at HKS Library & Knowledge Services [KNet access] are happy to help you find and work with the wealth of resources Harvard Library has to offer. (For example, check out our Fast Answer on recommended library resources to start a literature review.) LKS is also the go-to support for Zotero at HKS.
- The HKS Communications Program website contains information about writing consultants, workshops offered, as well as links to workshop materials and other resources.
- Among other things, Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL) offers helpful summaries of various citation styles.