- CIA World FactbookProvides brief, up-to-date information government, economy, geography, demographics, etc. for countries and other territorial entities around the world.
- Economist Intelligence Unit (Harvard Login)Provides country profiles and data, including information on politics, economy, risk, regulation, and business environment of a country.
Note: Material to which Harvard does not have access is marked with a small diamond icon in browse or search results.
- Economist Intelligence Unit Country Reports Archive (Harvard Login)Archive of the EIU's quarterly country reports from 1952 up to 1995.
- Freedom House ReportsDetailed country reports on the status of political rights, civil liberties, freedom of the press, and similar measures, updated annually.
- Oxford Business Group Country ReportsIn-depth reports for selected developing nations and sectors. Register to view reports by country and industry. The full reports can be downloaded through the Bloomberg terminals in person at Baker Library using the command OBGR.
- Political Handbook of the World (Harvard Login)Basic country-by-country data (e.g., population, languages) as well as detailed information about political history, politics, social movements, economics, and current issues.
- Political Risk Yearbook (Harvard Login)Annual reports on (and forecasts for) political developments, by country.
- Statesman's Yearbook Online (Harvard Login)Guide to world politics, economics and international relations. Provides details regarding population, officials, exports, constitutions, governments, diplomatic representatives, religion, finance, and basic histories of nations and states, as well as international and non-governmental organizations and think tanks.
Law & Government Information
- World Constitutions Illustrated (Harvard Login)Overview of current constitutional law and constitutional histories of all countries on the globe, as well as select scholarly books and articles.
- Guide to Law OnlineFrom the Law Library of Congress, a curated list of online resources on the laws and legal systems of all the world's countries.
- Global Legal MonitorFrequently updated service from the Law Library of Congress on legal news and developments in non-U.S. jurisdictions.
- CIA World LeadersDirectory of Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments, updated weekly.
- List of foreign government websitesCompilation of websites of foreign governmental institutions, from the Northwestern University Libraries.
Also check these research guides from the Harvard Law Library.
(Note: Some of these resources may only be accessible at the Law Library or to Harvard Law School affiliates.)
Free Legal Research Resources - Foreign & International
by AJ Blechner Last Updated Aug 17, 2022 515 views this year