COVID-19 Resources: Freely Available Standards COVID-19
ASTM Compass - ASTM Digital Library covers a broad range of engineering disciplines including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, environmental, geological, health and safety, industrial, materials science, mechanical, nuclear, petroleum, soil science, and solar engineering. If you are experiencing problems with ASTM Compass, try again while on the VPN and use Microsoft Edge as your browser.
|IEEE Xplore - Provides full-text access to IEEE published standards|
MADCAD - contains cross-referenced collections of building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, fire, and maintenance codes primarily from the United States, but some international resources also.
Print copies might also be available, try searching the Library Catalog
|If you can't find the standard you need try Request a Purchase (Note: there is no guarantee we'll be able to get the standard, but we'll try!)|
|Standards access at MIT - access resources if you are also a current MIT community member|
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO) - a non-profit association accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), identifies, develops, maintains, and publishes technical standards to manage information in our changing and ever-more digital environment.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) - NIST promotes U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Incorporated by Reference (IBR) Portal - provides a one-stop mechanism for access to standards that have been incorporated by reference in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). These standards incorporated by the U.S. government in rulemakings are offered at no cost in “read only” format and are presented for online reading. There are no print or download options.
- NASA Technical Reports Server - NTRS https://ntrs.nasa.gov
- ASSIST-Quick Search - search for defense and federal specifications and standards, military handbooks, and more.
- Department of Energy Technical Standards Program - The DOE Technical Standards Program (TSP) promotes the use of voluntary consensus standards, manages and facilitates efforts to develop and maintain necessary technical standards, and communicates information on TSP activities.
- W3C - develops technical specifications and guidelines through a process designed to maximize consensus about the content of a technical report, to ensure high technical and editorial quality, and to earn endorsement by W3C and the broader community.
- The Technical Reports and Standards Unit (TRS) of the Library of Congress holds over 5 million current and historical technical reports and standards on microform, digital media and paper.
- Publicly Available Standards -in accordance with ISO/IEC JTC 1 and the ISO and IEC Councils, these International Standards are publicly available for Standardization purposes.
Learn more about standards
- Examples of Use of Codes and Standards for Students in Mechanical Engineering - ASME Standards & Certification
- IEEE Standards University
- Standards are Everywhere: Educational Resources - Purdue
- Education and Training in Standardization - The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is a private, non-profit organization that administers and coordinates the U.S. voluntary standardization and conformity assessment system.
- University Outreach Program - ANSI Education and Training
- Standards.gov - The NIST Standards Coordination Office provides tools, programs, services, and educational resources about documentary standards and conformity assessment.