Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You're to select a recent primary text that depicts Hell or the Underworld (a film, TV show, story, novel, poem, play, or nonfiction essay). Then, using at least four secondary sources that you find on your own, you'll make an argument about how that text uses the concept of hell, as well as famous hell themes and archetypes, to reckon with a difficult reality in the external world.
Possible secondary sources:
- Film, TV, and book reviews and criticism
- News articles
- Books, articles, and book chapters (scholarly and popular)
Three directions for research:
- Your particular Hell text
- Theories or ideas that you can apply to your text
- The real-world issue that your text addresses
Thanks to my colleague Steve Kuehler for the creation of this guide's content.