This online research guide is designed specifically for students in Tom Akbari's expository writing class on "Writing in the Sciences." Here you can explore some strategies for the Unit 2 assignment. You'll also find search tips (these also apply to all kinds of research), great databases for science research, and helpful tips, links, and resources for research help.
What's In This Guide
- Tips for approaching the research process for this assignment
- How do we know when a source is worthwhile?
- "Peer review" and "scholarly articles"
- How do we prioritize one source over another?
- The primary databases best suited to this assignment
- Database suggestions specific to different scientific fields
Cabot Science Library Reference Librarians can help with a wide range of topics, including medicine and biomedicine, and they can refer you to other science libraries at Harvard.
Harvard Extension School Librarians
Online research guides: we have many guides like the one you're reading now, including guides oriented towards specific subject areas.
General questions/making an appointment: Email or chat with library staff via Ask a Librarian whenever you hit a stumbling block; you can also Request a Research Appointment to meet with a Research Librarian one-on-one. (No need specify a librarian or a library, just say a few words about what you're looking for help with and name the course when applicable.)