- The Struggle to Reform Our Colleges. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2017.
- Our Underachieving Colleges : A Candid Look at How Much Students Learn and Why They Should Be Learning More. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2006.
- The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out. Jossey-Bass. 2011.
James P. Honan
- Using Cases in Higher Education : A Guide for Faculty and Administrators. 1st ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
Anthony Abraham Jack
- The Privileged Poor : How Elite Colleges Are failing Disadvantaged Students. Cambridge, Massachusetts ; London, England: Harvard University Press, 2019.
- Experiences in Liberal Arts and Science Education from America, Europe, and Asia: A Dialogue across Continents. New York: Palgrave Macmillan US, 2016.
- How Professors Think. Harvard University Press, 2009.
- Making the Most of College. Harvard University Press, 2001.
- The Marketplace of Ideas. 1st ed. Issues of Our Time (W.W. Norton & Company). New York: W.W. Norton, 2010.
- The Making of the Modern University: Intellectual Transformation and the Marginalization of Morality. University of Chicago Press, 1996.
- The University, an Owner's Manual. 1st ed. Power and Morality Collection at Harvard Business School. New York: W.W. Norton, 1990.