Skip to Main Content
Finding historical images
How to start your search for historical images
- Start your search for visual material with HOLLIS Images. HOLLIS Images is the Harvard Library's dedicated image catalog. It includes content from archives, museums, libraries, and other collections throughout Harvard University. Access to the catalog is open to the general public.
- Also search the full Harvard Library catalog, HOLLIS. Enter keyword(s) in the main search box, select Library Catalog when prompted. When the search results display, use the filters on the right to refine your search by, for example, Resource Type > Images or Location > Harvard University Archives.
- Please note that only a small percentage of the Archives' collections have been digitized, and you may need to visit the Archives to review material in person.
- Try your search without limiting it to the Harvard University Archives - you may find something at one of the many other archives and special collections at Harvard, in particular the Schlesinger Library, which holds the Radcliffe Archives.
- Browse digital collections such as Colonial North America at Harvard Library.
- Contact the Archives reference staff for help with searching for visual material and to request reproductions from Archives' collections.
- Contact other special collections and archives at Harvard for more visual material possibilities.