Within HOLLIS for Archival Discovery, you have multiple ways to find nearly 7,000 finding aids and collection guides. The home page features a basic search feature as well as options for browsing.
You can browse finding aids using the options in the upper right-hand corner of the screen: Repositories, Collections, and Digital Materials.
- Repositories: browse a list of the 30 repositories that have finding aids in HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. Click on a repository name for contact information.
- "What's in this Repository" links to a list of the repository's finding aids
- Use the search box at the bottom of the screen to search within the repository's finding aids
- Collections: browse a list of all of the finding aids in HOLLIS for Archival Discovery
- Digital Materials: browse a list of all digital materials available via HOLLIS for Archival Discovery
You can click HOLLIS for Archival Discovery in the upper left corner of every screen to return to the homepage at any time or select Search from the options in the upper right.
The home page offers several options for searching. Using the main search box, enter words or phrases.
- Enter Esther Peterson letters for results that contain any of these words.
- Enter Esther AND Peterson AND Letters for results that contain all of these words.
- Enter “Esther Peterson letters” for results that contain this exact phrase.
The standard operator for HOLLIS for Archival Discovery is "AND". The underlying platform of ArchivesSpace was built to search for each word in a phrase individually and has a default "OR" search, but the default has been changed to "AND" as of September 2019.
Refine your search by using the fields below the text box to limit by type of record (all records, collections, digital materials), finding aid field (title, creator, notes, identifier), and date.
The default Search all record types will retrieve both collection- and item-level records. You may Limit to collections to retrieve only collection-level results. Limit to digital materials will search for material accessible online. Please note that some of this content may only be available to the Harvard community or on campus.
Pro tip: HOLLIS for Archival Discovery searches for the exact string of characters entered. If you are looking for text that may be part of a longer string, use the wildcard * in your search.