Register for an ORCID iD
You can register for an ORCID iD through the Harvard ORCID Connect portal.
- Creating an ORCID iD is fast and free
- Linking an existing ORCID iD to Harvard can also be done using the portal
- Connecting your ORCID iD to Harvard authorizes the university to read your public data and authenticates any Harvard-based activities listed in your ORCID profile
What is an ORCID iD?
An ORCID iD is a free and unique digital name identifier that:
- Distinguishes you from other researchers (ensures your activities are correctly attributed to you)
- Is interoperable (integrates with many funders and publishers systems)
- Is persistent (enduring)
The organization that provides you with an ORCID iD is ORCID - an international, interdisciplinary, open, non-proprietary, and not-for-profit organization created by the research community. You can also watch this short video about ORCID and its benefits.
Why Use ORCID?
- Gathers and allows you to update your research, publications, and activities in one system
- Streamlines the process of sharing your profile with multiple systems, whether publishers or funders, and biosketch tools (e.g., SciENcv)
- Is increasingly required by institutions, publishers, and funding agencies