Please feel free to email us with questions. We can make an appointment for you to come in, and we can talk at length about your project.
This is an abstract of our larger guide: Library Research Guide for History
Getting What You Need
These services are not currently being offered. For the current situation see Working Off Campus.
- Get a checked-out book within 1-4 days (from another institution) via Borrow Direct.
- Get an item delivered from another Harvard library within 1-4 days via Harvard Direct (use the Request Item link in a HOLLIS record).
- Request an electronic scan of a book chapter or a journal article within 1-4 days via the Scan & Deliver link in a HOLLIS record.
- Request an item from another institution via interlibrary loan. For articles, requests usually take a few hours. For other materials, requests could take 1-10 days. Use the OCLC number from the bottom of a WorldCat record to speed processing of your request.
- Interlibrary Loan may be able to obtain a scan of clearly specified archival documents. You must negotiate with the holding repository and ascertain if they are able to provide a scan, exact specification of the item needed, their exact price and contact information. Provide this information to ILL on the Request Article form.