Headline team. What news stories engrossed American attention during the year that is the focus of our discussion? Each week, the headline team will immerse us in the news of the (seventies) day. The team should seek breadth—by region, by ideological orientation, by medium (Harvard and Radcliffe publications, newspapers, major weekly magazines, television)—but also needs to seek thematic unity. How do the plural stories you’ve discovered intersect with our seminar theme for the week? What’s the headline of the headlines?
- Harvard / Radcliffe College New Sources
- US Newspapers
Harvard / Radcliffe College News Sources
- Radcliffe Quarterly (now published by the Radcliffe Institute, it began as a magazine for alumnae—some coverage of the non-merger merger in the 1970s issues)
- Radcliffe: News from the College (goes up to 1977)
- Radcliffe Union of Students Newsletter (1968-1970 only, but it was biweekly so there issues from Jan-May, 1970; interesting slice of campus life)
- Seventh Sister (Radcliffe student newspaper from 1977-1984, this one is great)
- Centennial News (1978-1980)
- The Red Book: Student's Handbook of Radcliffe College (1921-1970)
- Harvard Crimson
- Transcription of articles from Harvard's student-run daily newspaper are available for keyword searching. Following stories in the Crimson can reveal student perspectives on key events across campus and beyond.
- Browse Harvard Crimson Online Archives (1873- ), or search The Crimson via Google Advanced Search. Put your terms (you may include a year) in the appropriate search box, and put - thecrimson.com - in the Site or Domain box.
To search for a specific year, put the following into the Site or Domain box: thecrimson.com/article/[year] Use DuckDuckGo to search across multiple years.
Calendar of Harvard History (requires HarvardKey)
- This resource provides access to information about people, events, policies, academic and extracurricular student life, and other activities at Harvard from 1636 to the present. It is searchable by date and keyword. The calendar includes references to--and sometimes partial transcriptions--of articles that ran in the Harvard Gazette, Harvard Magazine, and other Harvard-focused publications.
- Annual Reports of the President and Treasurer
- From the 19th century to the mid-1990s, Harvard administrators published an annual report providing reflection on the state of the university in a given year. These official statements from the President, Treasurer, and other administrators can be useful for seeing what events had an impact on operations of the university. You can browse by year or search across reports by keyword.
- Harvard Bulletin (1969-1973) Searchable but not full text viewable in HathiTrust
- The Harvard Advocate (1866-2009)
Harvard Independent, 1969- . Browsable archive (2008- ; Open Issues). To search the archive, go to Google Advanced Search. Put in site or domain: https://harvardindependent.com/
For big city papers use:
- Atlanta Constitution (1868-1984)
- Austin American Statesman (1871-1980)
- Baltimore Sun (1837-1994)
- Boston Globe (1872-1989)
- Chicago Tribune (1849-2011)
- Christian Science Monitor (1908-2007)
- Detroit Free Press (1831-1999)
- Hartford Courant (1764-1995)
- Los Angeles Times (1881-2012)
- Louisville Courier Journal (1830 - 2000)
- New York Times (1851-2016)
- Newsday (1940-1992)
- Philadelphia Inquirer (1860-2001)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch (1874-2003)
- Wall Street Journal (1889-2003)
- Washington Post (1877-2003)
Search all ProQuest news sources using: Proquest News & Newspapers. Search across all newspapers, or select a custom group of titles to search across, rather than searching just one title.
For smaller cities and towns, use:
Newspapers.com. World collection (early 1700s-early 2000s). Includes papers from US, Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Panama and Wales. If you choose Browse at the top, you get a convenient breakdown of the available papers. If you hit Add more info in the search box, you can add place and date.
NewspaperARCHIVE offers numerous newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries. Contains many small-city newspapers.
Ethnic NewsWatch (1959- ) offers full-text of 90 newspapers and other periodicals (1990- ) and of 30 African American, Hispanic American, and Native American newspapers and other periodicals (1959-1989). Includes book/film/television reviews. Lists of periodicals by ethnicity. Includes African American, Arab American, Asian American, European American, Hispanic/Latino/Chicano, Jewish, Native American newspapers. For more newspapers by ethnicity, see: U.S. Ethnic Newspaper Sources
ProQuest Historical Newspapers include illustrations, editorials, and advertising. African-American papers are listed below. To search them all at once open ProQuest Historical Newspapers, open Databases in the gray top bar, and deselect all but the following:
- Atlanta Daily World (1931-2003)
- The Baltimore Afro-American (1893-1988)
- Chicago Defender (1910-1975)
- Cleveland Call and Post (1934-1991)
- Los Angeles Sentinel (1934-2005)
- New York Amsterdam News (1922-1993)
- Norfolk Journal and Guide (1921-2003)
- Philadelphia Tribune (1912-2001)
- Pittsburgh Courier (1911-2002)
Hispanic American Newspapers, 1808-1980 offers full-text of Spanish and bi-lingual newspapers. Based on the “Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary Heritage Project.” It is a subset of America's Historical Newspapers (Readex).
Proquest Women’s Magazine Archive, A searchable archiveof leading women's interest magazines dating from the 19th century through to the 21st. Subject coverage includes consumer culture, economics/marketing, family life, fashion, gender studies, health and fitness, home/interior design, popular culture, and social history. This database provides access to the complete archives of several 19th and 20th-century women's magazines. In combination, the publications cover topics such as family life, home economics, health, careers, fashion, culture, and many more; this material serves multiple research areas, from gender studies, social history, and the arts, through to education, politics and marketing/media history. The magazines re all scanned from cover to cover in high-resolution color and include non-article items, such as advertisements. Detailed article-level indexing, with document feature flags, enables searching and navigation.
Fortune Magazine (1930-2002) includes front and back covers as well as advertisements and all articles
Life. Google Magazines has full text of many 20th century magazines, including Life (1936-1972). List of Magazines included. Full text searchable.
Nation Archives (1865- ) includes full text of complete run of The Nation. Annual update lags behind 1 year. Full text searchable.
New Republic Archive (1914- )
Newsweek is in HathiTrust Be sure you are logged in. You can browse in the catalog record or search in Advanced Full Text Search with your keywords in the top box and Title: Newsweek.
Opinion Archives offers a full text, as well as author/title, search of full runs of the following opinion periodicals:
American Spectator (1972- ) - Commentary – (1945- ) Commonweal (1924) - Dissent (1954- ) - Harpers Magazine (1850- ) - Moment (1975- )- NACLA (1966- ) - Nation (1965- ) - National Review (1955- ) - New Leader (1924- ) - New Republic (1914- ) - New York Review (1963- ) - New Yorker (1925- ) - Orion Magazine (1982- ) - Progressive (1909- )- Washington Monthly (1969- ) - Weekly Standard (1995- ) Full text searchable.
A history of American magazines, by Frank Luther Mott. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1938-1968, 5 v.
--V. 1. 1741-1850 -- v. 2. 1850-1865 -- v. 3. 1865-1885 -- v. 4. 1885-1905 -- v. 5. Sketches of 21 magazines, 1905-1930, with a cumulative index to the five volumes.
Periodicals Index Online indexes contents of thousands of journals in the humanities and social sciences, from their first issues to 1995.
ProQuest - Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive (1880–2000) covers film, broadcasting, popular music and theatre.
Reader's Guide Retrospective (WilsonWeb) (1890-1982) indexes many popular periodicals.
Vogue Archive (1892- ) full text of all issues of Vogue magazine
African American Periodicals, 1825-1995 offers over 170 periodicals from 26 states including academic and political journals, commercial magazines, institutional newsletters, organizations’ bulletins, annual reports, etc.
Ebony in Google magazines (1959-2008)
International Index to Black Periodicals (1902- ; some full-text 1998- ) indexes over 150 scholarly and popular journals, newspapers and newsletters from the United States, Africa and the Caribbean