HOLLIS is a great place to start your research.
HOLLIS is the library's main search interface. It defaults to searching billions of citations for articles, book chapters, and other materials (“Catalog & Articles”), along with the millions of items in the Harvard Library Catalog. Learn more about the differences between Catalog & Articles and Library Catalog.
Do this first, so you can:
- Make and manage requests (Request Pick Up, Scan & Deliver, etc.)
- See articles that are otherwise hidden
- Save favorites
To renew items you have checked out or view current requests, “my favorites,” recent loans, and other details, use the drop-down menu that appears next to your name once you have signed in.
For more detailed information, see our FAQ on Renewal (Library Materials).
What if I can’t get what I want in HOLLIS?
Citation in HOLLIS
Harvard does not own everything in HOLLIS. “Check Access Options” will bring you to a request form, or staff at Ask a Librarian can help you locate a copy. Learn more about access options.
No citation in HOLLIS
HOLLIS is huge, but it’s not everything. Fill out a blank Interlibrary Loan form and we will try to get a copy for you. You can also suggest we buy a copy for our collection.
HOLLIS may have a citation for the journal but not the individual articles, the book but not the individual chapters, the box of archival materials but not its contents, or no citation for the item at all.
For materials and search tools beyond HOLLIS:
- Explore databases and research guides
- Consult with Harvard Library curators and subject experts
Alums and Guests
Use the links on library.harvard.edu's page for alums for alumni access to online resources. HOLLIS's "online access" links will only work for you if the item is publicly accessible, such as Harvard digital collections, HathiTrust items, or Open Access journal articles.
Sign in to your HOLLIS account to manage requests, save favorites, and personalize results.
Note: My Favorites carries over when you become an alum - any items saved to your HOLLIS account will still be there.
No sign-in required to see bibliographic information about items in our collections (“Library Catalog”). Your access options include:
- Use Harvard Library's Special Collections and Archives
- Reproductions (scans for a fee)
- Circulating materials and e-resources: see I'm not a Harvard student. Can I get access to Harvard materials?
Up Next: Choose Where to Search
- HOLLIS FAQs - how-tos, troubleshooting, etc.
- Ask a Librarian - search advice specific to your research topic
- Staff-facing HOLLIS system documentation