Welcome to the Harvard Library
Finding Scholarly Sources
- Oxford Bibliographies: Politcal Science is a series of selective online guides to the essential literature in subjects in the humanities and social sciences. You might also want to explore Oxford Bibliographies: Political Science.
- Annual Review of Political Science offers comprehensive, timely collections of critical reviews written by leading scholars. Other volumes in the series include the Annual Review of Law and Social Science.
- Proquest Social Sciences Premium is a scholarly database including coverage of politics, sociology, anthropology, and education.
- HeinOnline is a digital collection of legal materials including law journals as well as congressional and other government material.
- Web of Science (Citation Indexes) is a multidisciplinary database indexing major journals in the Sciences, Social Sciences and the Humanities. It also shows how many times a particular work has been cited since its publication.
- Google Scholar enables you to search for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, and abstracts from all broad areas of research, Google Scholar also shows how many times a work has been cited since its publication.
- ProQuest Congressional is a major source of information about the members of Congress and their legislative activities and a primary resource for accessing the many publications of Congress. Coverage includes Bills and Laws 1798-presentt; CRS Reports 1916-present; Hearings 1824-present; House & Senate Reports 1789-present; and Legislative Histories 1969-present. There are links to full-text documents, and this resource also provides an index for the Harvard's microfiche collections of older materials and the US Serial Set.
- Policyfile provides access to a collection of domestic and international public policy issues reports and studies published by think tanks, university research programs, research organizations which include the OECD, IMF, World Bank, the Rand Corporation, and a number of federal agencies.
- Politico Pro is a comprehensive database providing legislative and regulatory insights, data tools and resources for policy research. On-demand, graphic visualization library translates complex policy issues and data sets into infographics.
- Think Tank Search searches the websites of institutions that generate public policy research, analysis, and activity. These sites are affiliated with universities, governments, advocacy groups, foundations, non-governmental organizations, and businesses. Inclusion is based upon the relevancy of subject area to HKS coursework and scholarship, the availability of the think tank’s research in full-text on the website, and the think tank’s reputation and influence upon policy making. The list represents a mixture of partisan and non-partisan think tanks.
Created by librarians and containing links to recommended resources for scholarly literature, news, data, and more.
HOLLIS+ for Finding Books and Articles
When you are looking for books and articles on a topic, use the default search in HOLLIS, which is a keyword search. Once you have done a search, note the limits on the right side of the page. Selecting a limit enables you to narrow your search by language, source type, subject, etc.
- For books not currently available at Harvard, you can request them through Borrow Direct.If one of the libraries in this network has the book, you should receive it within 4 days.
- If the book is not available through Borrow Direct or the item is an article, you can submit an Interlibrary Loan request to borrow it from a broader network of libraries, which takes an average of 2 weeks.
If you find an item in another library that you think the Harvard Library should own, you can submit a Collections Purchase Request.
Resources for Organizing & Citing Sources
- Zotero: Getting Started - A tool for saving, organizing and formatting your research sources.
- Research Management & Citation Tools Research Guide - Information about various citation tools supported by the Harvard Library.
- Purdue OWL - Help for your citation style questions.
Helpful Services & Tools
- Ask a Librarian - Send us your question virtually.
- Install the Check Harvard Library Bookmark and use it to get quick access to material licensed by Harvard Library.
- Scan & Deliver is a free, electronic document delivery service that enables Harvard students, faculty and staff to request pdf's of journal articles or book chapters from the Library's collections. Requests are placed through the HOLLIS. You will receive an email with a link to the pdf within four days.
- Use Borrow Direct to request a book not currently available at Harvard. If one of the libraries in this network has the item, you should receive it within four days. If the item is not available through Borrow Direct, you can submit an Interlibrary Loan request to borrow it from a broader network of libraries.
- Harvard Library Research Guides, created and maintained by librarians throughout the Harvard Library, provide assistance with finding library materials, searching electronic and print collections, citing sources and more.