Quick Links to Journals
- BrowZineBrowZine is a convenient new way to access many of the online journals Harvard Library subscribes to as well as many open access journals. Look for individual titles, search by title keyword, or see titles arranged by subject. Create an account to build your own bookshelf of favorite titles.
- Detail InspirationDetail Inspiration is an image and reference database with thousands of projects from DETAIL Magazine. Each project is accompanied by DETAIL project documents, which can be downloaded as PDFs. Search filters include building type, material, construction and location
- El Croquis (online edition)Online access to El Croquis (Harvard Key required)
- USModernist® LibraryThe USModernist® Library is the world's largest open digital collection of major US 20th-century architecture magazines with approximately 2.7 million downloadable pages - all free to access. Titles include Progressive Architecture, Architectural Forum, Architectural Record, AIA Journal, Architect, Architecture, and more.
Search for Books and More in Hollis+
- Search for books, many journal articles formerly available only in databases, journals, images, maps, manuscript and archival materials, videos, music and open access
- Looking for articles in design journals? See article search options, below.
Looking for Building Technology Literature?
Searching INSPEC and GreenFile.
- CompendexScientific and technical engineering research, covering all engineering disciplines. Includes citations and abstracts to thousands of engineering journals and conference proceedings.
- CuminCADcumulative index of publications about computer aided architectural design. It includes bibliographic information about over 12,200 records from journals and conferences such as ACADIA, ASCAAD, CAADRIA, eCAADe, SiGraDi, CAAD futures, DDSS and others. All papers include full abstracts. Full texts, in PDF, of some 9,400 papers are also available.
- Building Technology Heritage LibraryThe Building Technology Heritage Library (BTHL) is primarily a collection of American and Canadian, pre-1964 architectural trade catalogs, house plan books and technical building guides. Trade catalogs are an important primary source to document past design and construction practices. These materials can aid in the preservation and conservation of older structures as well as other research goals.
- Building Types Online (Harvard Login)This database includes over 3500 vector-based plans and 120 thematic articles on 850 international case studies of projects published in 12 Birkhauser publications.
- HOLLIS ImagesHOLLIS Images is the Harvard Library's dedicated image catalog. It includes content from archives, museums, libraries, and other collections throughout Harvard University. Access to the catalog is open to the general public. Some images are restricted to the Harvard community; HarvardKey login required for access to restricted images.
- ARTstor (HarvardKey Required)Over 1 million images of art and architecture
Subjects & Keywords
Find Original (Archival) Material
Special Collections: Archival Collections at the Frances Loeb Library
by Ines Zalduendo Last Updated May 9, 2023 2869 views this year
- AIA Historical Directory of American ArchitectsLocate information about U.S. architects from the 19th and 20th centuries in the AIA Archives and elsewhere.
- Smithsonian / Archives of American ArtThis archives collects, preserves, and provides access to primary sources that document the history of the visual arts in America.
Getting Started: Essential Library Accounts and Tools for Design Research
by Nicole Santiago Last Updated Oct 19, 2021 256 views this year
Write and Cite
by Nicole Santiago Last Updated May 3, 2023 2016 views this year