- Mideast Wire.comnews stories in English for the Arab world, Iran, and Arab media diaspora
- Multidata OnlineProvides full text from and bibliographic citations to selected newspapers and periodicals from the Arab world in Arabic, English, and French. MultiDataOnline consists of five databases: 1."General News" provides full text and covers 52 dailies and weeklies since 1994; 2. "Specialized Periodicals" provides bibliographic citations from more than 225 specialized Arabic periodicals since 1920; 3. "Reviews" provides full text book reviews from more than 250 newspapers and magazines in the Arab world from 1998; 4. "Theses" provides a subject index to theses submitted to 21 Lebanese institutions of higher learning; and, 5. "Index Arabicus" documents the contents of 42 Arabic periodicals published between 1870 and 1969. The database has both Arabic and English interfaces.
- Pan-Arab News IndexNews and editorial coverage from the Middle East. Primarily in Arabic.
Basic Reference Sources
- Encyclopaedia of Islam OnlineExtensive encyclopedia with over 13,000 articles on Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
- Encyclopaedia of the Qur’anEncyclopedia covering all aspects of the Qur’an including qur’anic terms, concepts, personalities, place names, cultural history and exegesis as well as essays on important themes and subjects within qur’anic studies
- Oxford Islamic Studies OnlineIncludes articles, primary texts, translations of and commentary on the Quran, etc.
- WorldCat (FirstSearch)Access to the collections at major research libraries all over the world. Search terms are the same as for Hollis. Worldcat is also available for free on the web.
Using Indexes to Find Information on the Law of the Middle East
There are many useful indexes for finding articles about Islamic law.
These are accessible via E-Research on Hollis and will require a HU ID and PIN number if you are off campus (Exception--Le Doctrinal. See below)
- Academic Search Premier (Harvard Login)Multi-disciplinary database that includes citations and abstracts from over 4,700 scholarly publications
- Index IslamicusProduced by the Islamic Bibliography Unit at Cambridge University Library, is a bibliography of publications in European languages on all aspects of Islam and the Muslim world. Index Islamicus provides access to over 2,000 journals and series
- Index to Foreign Legal PeriodicalsA multilingual index to articles and book reviews appearing in approximately 540 legal journals published worldwide.
- Islam in Contemporary Sub-Saharan AfricaThe bibliography contains several thousand references to secondary literature in European languages about Islam in contemporary Sub-Saharan Africa, published between 1960 to 2005
- Le DoctrinalIndexes almost 200 French language law journals. Law school, students and faculty may access this database remotely with their HLS Me account credentials.
- LegaltracIndexes the contents of nearly 1000 legal periodicals, including academic law journals, bar association publications, and legal newspapers covering English-language publications from the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and the U.K.
- Middle Eastern and Central Asian StudiesBroad index of sources from Central Asia, Middle East and North Africa. Also covers grey literature.
- PAIS International (Harvard Login)Indexes the public and social policy literature of public administration, political science, economics, finance, international relations, law, and health care, International in scope, PAIS indexes publications in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish