Rutland Corner House
The Rutland Corner House was organized in 1877 as the Home for Working Women, where "women desirous of making an honest living, but penniless and friendless, may find shelter and employment until able to secure a permanent position." Inmates, who had to be poor, respectable, and able to work, were usually referred to the House through social agencies, although some were accepted directly from the streets. During the 1920s the House population was increasingly made up of "undesirable" women. This change continued into the 1950s when inmates included unmarried mothers, psychiatric cases, persons discharged from hospitals, young runaways, and court cases. In 1953 the board of managers voted to turn the House into a transitional residence for women psychiatric patients. Records of the board of managers, treasurer, superintendent, and recording secretary include annual reports, minutes, financial records, correspondence, visitors books, and card files on residents of the House.