Sixteen high-resolution, standalone document cameras "Hovercams" are available in the Carol K. Pforzheimer Reading Room.
Hovercams attach to your PC. Don't have a laptop? We have three laptops to lend. First come, first served.
1. Download Flex 11 Software
Note: Skip this step if you are borrowing a Reading Room laptop. The software is already installed.
Visit the Hovercam website that offers a Flex11 software download page.
Select the HoverCam Flex11 software option and follow on-screen installation instructions after software downloads.
2. Connect & Configure Hovercam
Connect the Hovercam to your laptop via the USB cable and open Flex 11 Software. Here is what you will see:
Click Settings on the bottom right corner of the menu.
A smaller menu will open in the software.
Click the scan tab to view camera settings.
- Save folder specifies the folder location where images will be saved.
- File naming assigns file names.
- Output format determines image type. The options are jpg, png, tif, bmp, gif,and pdf.
3. Take images
The menu at the bottom of the screen allows you to control the camera.
- Side-by-Side: View the live image through the camera lens alongside the still image you take.
- Snapshot: Take an image.
- Multi Scan: Add each image you take to a single, multiple-page PDF document.
- Zoom, Focus, Control, and Cropping: Manipulate the image before you take it.
Click the expand icon on the left side of the screen to view thumbnails of your images
Choose Go to Archive to view the images on your hard drive