A Note from the Library Director
- Action for Children's Television
- The Black Teacher Archive
- Historical Textbooks
- History of Education and Teacher Training Schools
- Jeanne S. Chall Collection on the Teaching of Reading
- Private School Catalogs
- Public School Reports
- Manuscript Collections
We aim for inclusive educational experiences on the HGSE campus, and we want everyone to feel safe within our environment. While masks are not required, you may find wearing one helpful for your well-being.
To take the best advantage of Gutman Library, here are a few notes to consider:
1. Be sure to ask for help! Just in time for fall semester our newly renovated 2nd-floor spaces are open. The Office of Student Affairs, Academic Programs/Affairs, and the Career Services and Alumni Engagement Offices have joined us to create a new 2nd-floor service hub for students. We're working out the early kinks, so I thank you for your patience with us!
2. The current renovated areas include the Library Services Desk; two reading rooms for silent or quiet work; a computing area with a scanner, copier, and printer; multipurpose conference rooms that are also used for the Writing Center & Communications Lab; a Special Collections reading room; a Data Visualization Lab, and library staff, student affairs, academic affairs, and career/alumni affairs personnel workspaces.
3. Already renovated spaces are available to use -- such as our upgraded 4th-floor, open study spaces, and our renovated open-air, roof-top patio.
4. We offer consulting services in digital scholarship, critical pedagogy, and research data management support. Also, get to know your program, concentration, and foundation research librarians.
5. Come to our in-person book talk series this year. We'd love to see you!
6. Lastly, make use of our affiliated services and spaces such as --
- Writing Center & Communications Lab (2nd floor / virtual)
- Jeanne Chall Reading Lab (Larsen Hall – ground level)
My colleagues and I want to hear from you! Share your ideas about how we can build stronger partnerships in research, teaching, learning, and service by writing to me at email@example.com or by contacting your designated HGSE program, concentration, or foundation research librarian via our online form.
Best wishes for a wonderful academic year ahead!
Alex R. Hodges, EdD, MLS
HGSE Librarian and Director, Monroe C. Gutman Library