Academic Search Premier, a multi-disciplinary database with many articles available full-text.
Google Scholar enables searches for scholarly literature employing Google's relevance ranking, with links to full-text available through Harvard collections.
HathiTrust Digital Library, a shared repository of works digitized by more than 50 research library members.
International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (1951- ) offers worldwide coverage of anthropology, economics, politics and sociology.
JSTOR Full-text archive of some 1300 journals in around 50 disciplines. In most cases, does not include articles from journals' most recent five years.
Periodicals Index Online indexes thousands of journals from their first issues to 1995. Includes book reviews.
HOLLIS "Everything" Search Mode: a mega-index covering hundreds of millions of resources, with sophisticated abilities to refine searches.
Project MUSE provides access to the full text of more than 200 scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences, and mathematics. Strong in cultural studies, current-interest topics.
Web of Science enables you to find publications that cite particular articles and papers, continuing the scholarly conversation.
New Media/Digital Storytelling Resources at Harvard
For questions about Digital Storytelling at Harvard, contact Marlon Kuzmick, mkuzmick[at]fas.harvard.edu. Marlon is Director of the Learning Lab at the Bok Center for Teaching and Learning and teaches courses in multimedia production.
Key Humanities & Social Sciences Resources
- Anthropological Index Based on the journal holdings of The Anthropology Library at the The British Museum.
- Anthropological Literature Includes works held in Tozzer Library (formerly the Peabody Museum Library) from the 19th century onward. A list of indexed publications is available on the Tozzer Library website, under Anthropological Literature. See Guide to Using the Anthropological Literature Database.
- Anthropology Plus Searches Anthropological Index and Anthropological Literature.
Art and Architecture
- Google Scholar
- Web of Science Multidisciplinary database covering the journal literature of the sciences, social sciences, and humanities. Includes each article's cited reference list.
- ABI Inform Provides summaries and citations from over 1000 academic management, marketing, and general business journals
- Econlit Covers circa 600 journals as well as articles in collective volumes (essays, proceedings, etc.), book reviews, dissertations, and working papers.
Ethnic and Regional Studies
- Africa-Wide: NiPAD Contains twenty-seven African, European and North American databases indexing printed texts, maps and music recordings on all topics in African studies.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies Records on all subjects related to East, Southeast, and South Asia from 1971 to the present, primarily in the humanities and social sciences.
- Chicano Database (1967- ) identifies all types of material on Mexican-American topics and about Chicanos. Records added since 1992 have expanded its scope to include the broader Latino experience, including Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans, and Central American immigrants.
- Germanic Studies Guide to Germanic Research created by HCL librarians.
- HAPI Online (Hispanic American Periodicals Index) (1970- ) contains citations to articles in more than 400 scholarly journals published in Latin America or treating Latin American and U.S. Hispanic topics.
- Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies Index to research, policy, and scholarly discourse on the countries and peoples of the Middle East, Central Asia, and North Africa, containing "scholarly journals, radical periodicals, books, book reviews, book chapters, theses & dissertations, bulletins, internet documents and numerous other sources (grey literature)."
- Race Relations Abstracts includes summaries of scholarly articles relevant to the study of race relations, ethnic studies, and immigration studies.
- Ethnic NewsWatch (1990- ) is a full text database of the newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press.
GenderWatch (1974- ) provides full text of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers, newsletters, regional publications, books, booklets and pamphlets, conference proceedings, and government, non-governmental organization, and special reports.
LGBT Life with Full Text Indexes magazines, academic journals, etc., pertaining to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender concerns. Related databases: LGBT Thought and Culture, LGBT Magazine Archive, LGBT Studies in Video
Women's Studies International (1972-) Draws citations and abstracts from a variety of essential women's studies databases.
- America: History and Life Primary bibliographic reference to the history of the United States and Canada.
- Historical Abstracts Reference guide to the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada..
- See Library Research Guide for History
- Literature Online includes collected works of poetry, drama and prose with complementary reference and critical resources.
- MLA International Bibliography Indexes material in literature, linguistics, languages, and folklore from 1926 to the present.
Political Science and Government
- International Political Science Abstracts (1989- ) Abstracts political science articles published in scholarly journals and yearbooks worldwide.
- Left Index Online Emphasizes "significant but little-known sources."
- PAIS Indexes international public and social policy literature oInternational in scope, including abstracts of thousands of journal articles, books, directories, conference proceedings, government documents and statistical yearbooks.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts Indexes international serials literature in political science, international relations, law, and public administration / policy.
- Philosopher's Index Covers aesthetics, axiology, philosophy of education, epistemology, ethics, philosophy of history, philosophy of language, logic, metaphysics, philosophical anthropology, metaphilosophy, political philosophy, philosophy of science, social philosophy, and the philosophy of religion. Contains research published since 1940.
- PsycInfo Indexes the professional and academic literature in psychology and related disciplines.
- ATLA Religion Database (1949-) Indexes journal articles, essays, and book reviews in the field of religion.
- Sociological Abstracts (1963-) Core resource for sociology, social planning/policy, and related disciplines. Includes journals, relevant dissertations, selected books and book chapters, and association papers, citations for book reviews and other media.
No single database includes all newspapers and magazines. Consider which dates and which locations and communities you want to include when you choose databases to search.
- African-American Newspapers: The 19th Century (Accessible Archives): Includes the complete and searchable text: Freedom's Journal(March 16, 1827 - March 28 1829), The Colored American (January 7, 1837 - December 25, 1841), The North Star (December 3, 1847 - April 17,1851), The National Era (January 7, 1847 - March 22, 1860), Provincial Freeman (1854-1857), Frederick Douglass' Paper(Completed through December 1852), The Christian Recorder (1861-1902).
- African American Periodicals,1825-1995: Includes academic and political journals, commercial magazines, institutional newsletters, organizations’ bulletins, annual reports, and other genres -- African Repository (Washington, DC, 1825-1892), The Black Warrior (Fort Parapet, LA, 1864), El Mulato (New York, NY, 1954), Pennsylvania Freedmen's Bulletin (Philadelphia, PA, 1865), Southern Workman (Hampton, VA, 1865-1939), Bay Area Report (Oakland, CA, 1982).
- America's Historical Newspapers (Readex): Full-text database of newspapers published in the United States. Resources can be searched as a group or individually.
- American Periodicals Series Online, 1740-1900: American magazines and journals that originated between 174 and 1900--mostly 19th-century. Periodicals that began publication before 1900 and continued into the 20th century are included through 1940. Can be searched with any other selected ProQuest Historical Databases
- British Periodicals 1681-1920 (ProQuest): Topics covered include literature, philosophy, history, science, fine arts, social sciences, music, art, drama, archaeology, and architecture.
- Eighteenth-Century Journals (1685-1915): Rare journals printed between c1685 and 1815, primarily from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and some English colonies.
- Gale News Vault: Allows cross-searching across any Gale Newspaper collection to which Harvard subscribes. These resources can also be searched individually.
- 17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers: an extensive group of newspapers, books and pamphlets owned by the British Library.
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part 1: contains the full runs of forty-eight national and regional newspapers published in nineteenth-century Britain.
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers: Full-text database of ca. 500 urban and rural U.S. newspapers, published between 1800 and 1899.
- 19th Century UK Periodicals: Part 1, "New Readerships," provides access to a number of " Women's, Children's, Humour, and Leisure/Sports" journals. Part 2,"Empire," includes journals related to the expansion of the British empire published in Britain, India, Canada, South and East Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
- Times Digital Archive (i.e. Times of London): Contains all Monday-Saturday issues of the Times, 1785-1985; for the Sunday Times, see the Gale NewsVault.
- Times Literary Supplement Historical Archive (1902-2014)
- Gallica (Middle Ages-first half 20th century): Major digitization project at the Bibliothèque Nationale de France. Emphasizes 19th-century materials. Content includes dictionaries and encyclopedias; journals, newspapers, and other periodicals; pamphlets; theater; poetry; novels and other prose texts; manuscripts; recordings; and images.
- Historical Newspapers Online (Chadwyck Healey): Indexes only -- no full text. Comprises Palmer's Index to the Times of London, covering 1790-1905; The Official Index to the Times, covering 1906-1980; and The Historical Index to the New York Times, covering 1851 to September 1922.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Offers full-text searching across all the historical newspapers available through the ProQuest platform. To see the list of newspapers, and to select and deselect titles for your own custom list of titles to be searched, click on "Change databases."
- Periodicals Index Online (18th-century to present, varying by publication): Covers journals from North America, the United Kingdom other English-speaking areas and journals in other European languages.