Please read through the steps below or view the how-to video at the bottom of the page.
HOLLIS: Harvard University's library catalog, including books, periodicals, manuscript collections, etc.
HOLLIS Special Request: an online account, available to all researchers (Harvard affiliated and non-Harvard affiliated), for requesting materials from Harvard’s archives & special collections libraries
Steps to Request Using HOLLIS
NOTE: Requesting materials through HOLLIS is best for published materials and manuscript collections without a finding aid. For manuscript materials where a finding aid is available, make your request through the finding aid in HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. When a manuscript collection has an associated finding aid, the catalog record in HOLLIS includes multiple links to the finding aid. To learn more about making a request using a finding aid in HOLLIS for Archival Discovery, please see the Requesting with HOLLIS for Archival Discovery guide.
- In order to search for material that is housed in the Schlesinger Library’s collection, use the "Advanced Search" option available in the top navigation bar of HOLLIS and narrow the "Search" category to the “Library Catalog." Finally, choose "Schlesinger" from the "Scope" drop-down menu.
- Enter your search terms, and then click the "Search" button. When you click on an item name in the results list, you will be taken to the catalog record.
- In order to request the material, scroll down to the "Access Options" section of the catalog record. To request the copy of the material housed at the Schlesinger Library, you will see two potential options.
- If a single copy of the material is available at the Schlesinger Library, in the "Access Options" section, you will see information related to this singular holding. To place your request, click on the "Request to Copy or Visit" link listed under the "Options" heading.
- If multiple copies of the material are held at the Schlesinger Library or if the material is available at multiple Harvard Libraries, you will see a list of the copies available in the "Access Options" section of the catalog record. Click on the hyperlink representing the copy of the material you would like to request. The "Access Options" view will shift to reflect the holding associated with the hyperlink you have clicked. From this view, click on the "Request to Copy or Visit" link listed under the "Options" heading to place your request.
- If you are not yet logged into your HOLLIS Special Request account, you’ll be taken to a page where you can choose to log in or register for an account.
- After logging in, you will be taken to the HOLLIS Special Request account view of the information related to your "New Reading Room Request." Verify all the information is correct and choose the date you would like to visit. To learn more about Schlesinger Library's hours, please visit the Planning Your Visit guide.
- Choose to "Submit Request" or "Save Request for Later." When you submit your request, it is displayed in your list of "Outstanding Requests" in your HOLLIS Special Request account. When you choose to save your request, it displays as “Awaiting User Review” in the "Saved Requests" section.