U.S. Government & Politics
Sources for Context
- CQ Electronic Library Includes the resources CQ Researcher, Encyclopedia of the First Amendment and the Supreme Court Yearbook, among others.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online. Political Science is a series of selective, discipline-focused, online guides to the essential literature in a subject.
- Oxford Handbooks Online: Political Science offer introductions to topics and critical surveys of the current state of scholarship.
Resources for Scholarly Articles
There are hundreds of journal databses to which the Harvard Library subscribes. You can find additional resources on the Databases page.
Public Policy & Law
- Political Science Database indexes the journal literature in political science.
- Policyfile contains public policy reports and studies published by think tanks, university research programs, and other organizations.
- Government Periodicals Index covers articles in approximately 170 current federal publications.
- HeinOnline is a digital collection of legal materials.
- Social Science Premium is an index and full text database in the social sciences, including politics, sociology, and education.
- Web of Science indexes core journal articles and other resources in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities. A key feature of the database is citation searching which enables you to find who has cited an article since it was published.
- Google Scholar enables you to search for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, etc. from all broad areas of research. Google Scholar also provides information on who has cited an item since it was published.
- America History & Life the primary bibliographic reference to the history of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present.
- Historical Abstracts is a reference guide to the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada).
- Econlit is a comprehensive indexed bibliography of the world's economic literature, produced by the American Economic Association.
- Sociological Abstracts covers the international literature in sociology, social policy/planning, and related disciplines.
Finding Books at Harvard
Finding Books Beyond Harvard
Government Documents and Data Resources
- ProQuest Congressional is a collection of legislative and executive publications.
- CQ Press Library
- Data.gov: The home of the U.S. Government's open data.
- ProQuest Statistical Insight is a searchable database of statistical information from selected federal, state and international publications.
Selected News Sources
- Factiva is a database of over 8,000 business and news publications in over 20 languages.
- Nexis Uni features over 15,000 news, business, and legal sources.
- Ethnic NewsWatch is a comprehensive database of publications of the ethnic, minority, and native press.
- Alt-PressWatch provides access to newspapers, magazines, and journals of the alternative and independent press
- Politico Pro comprehensive database providing legislative and regulatory insights for policy research.
- National Journal is a collection of resources on U.S.politics and policy, including Hotline and Race Tracker.
- ClimateWire is a daily environmental newswire. Includes access to Greenwire and Energywire.