Introduction and Major US Full Text Sources
This guide is currently being revised
This guide is intended to help Harvard students and faculty find newspapers and newspaper articles.
- Do you want articles on a topic?
- Major databases: United States or Foreign, if nothing then
- Lists of digitized newspapers
- Check list of miscellaneous databases and resources
- Do you want a newspaper published at a particular place and time?
- Find out what papers were published in a city/town, US or foreign by year
- Go to A, 1,2,3 to see if it is digitized, if not:
- Do we have it on microfilm, if not:
- Interlibrary loan
- Do you want newspapers for a particular audience (African-American, American Indian, labor, collegiate, etc)?
- Find out what papers were published for your audience: Check: Guides/Bibliographies and Chronicling America Newspaper Directory
- Is there a topical digital collection?
- Is there a microfilm collection?
- Do we have the paper?
- Interlibrary loan
The Kennedy School offers a guide aimed more at sources for current news: News & Media Studies
To find articles in HOLLIS, choose Everything, search your terms and choose Resource Type: Newspaper articles under Refine my results on the right. HOLLIS Everything searches many but not all of Harvard's databases. Also, the individual databases, listed below and elewhere in this guide, offer search features not available in HOLLIS.
Sources for many more online papers are listed by state on the Additional Sources for Digitized Newspapers page.
NexisUni (1980s- ) is the usual first choice for finding recent newspaper articles, with full text (pictures omitted) coverage of numerous U.S. and overseas newspapers.
- Choose Advanced Search
- Select a Specific Content type: News
- Enter your search terms
- Narrow as needed on left
To get international publications, limit by "Location by Publication" on left-hand side to "International".
Factiva (1980s- ) offers full text (pictures omitted) of over 6,000 newspapers, magazines, wire services and trade journals. To limit to a particular newspaper enter, e.g., sn=wall street journal and "search term". Articles for which the copyright resides with the author rather than the newspaper which are not available in NexisUni sometimes have a citation without full text in Factiva. Includes the Wall Street Journal full text, 1984- (abstracts, 6/13/1979-1983) and the Boston Globe (1987- ). Search Guide: Factiva User Guide: Browsing & Searching (Boston College guide)
Articles for which the copyright resides with the author rather than the newspaper will not generally be available in NexisUni or Factiva, although Factiva sometimes provides citations. Use newspaper indexes to find articles omitted from the full text sources.
Ethnic NewsWatch (1959- ) offers full-text of 90 newspapers and other periodicals (1990- ) and of 30 African American, Hispanic American, and Native American newspapers and other periodicals (1959-1989). Includes book/film/television reviews. Lists of periodicals by ethnicity. Includes African American, Arab American, Asian American, European American, Hispanic/Latino/Chicano, Jewish, Native American newspapers. For more newspapers by ethnicity, see: U.S. Ethnic Newspaper Sources
- Atlanta Constitution (1868-1984)
- Austin American Statesman (1871-1977)
- Baltimore Sun (1837-1991)
- Boston Globe (1872-1988). The ProQuest Boston Globe (1980- ) is available to Massachusetts residents. Scroll down to Boston Globe.
- Chicago Tribune (1849-1993)
- Christian Science Monitor (1908-2003)
- The Cincinnati Enquirer (1841-1922)
- Detroit Free Press (1831-1999)
- Hartford Courant (1764-1991)
- Los Angeles Times (1881-1993)
- Louisville Courier Journal (1830 - 2000)
- Nashville Tennessean (1812-1922)
- New York Times (1851-2013) -- New York Times Recent (2008-3 months ago)
- New York Tribune / Herald Tribune (1841-1962)
- Newsday (1940-1988)
- San Francisco Chronicle (1865-1922)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch (1874-1922)
- Wall Street Journal (1889-2000)
- Washington Post (1877-2000) -- Washington Post (2008-3 months ago)
Search all ProQuest news sources using: Proquest News & Newspapers. Search across all newspapers, or select a custom group of titles to search across, rather than searching just one title.
Chronicling America, enhancing access to historic American newspapers (1836-1963) (Library of Congress) offers searchable full text. For a list of digitized newspapers for each state, choose All Digitized Newspapers 1836-1963. Also includes the valuable U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present, in which searches for newspapers can be limited by language and ethnicity.
Newspapers.com. World collection (early 1700s-early 2000s). Includes papers from US, Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Panama and Wales. If you choose Browse at the top, you get a convenient breakdown of the available papers. If you hit Add more info in the search box, you can add place and date.
NewspaperARCHIVE offers numerous newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries. Contains many small-city newspapers.
America’s Historical Newspapers (1690-1993) (Readex) offers full text of over a thousand U.S. newspapers. Includes all papers listed in the standard History and bibliography of American newspapers, 1690-1820, by Clarence S. Brigham. Although a very rich resource, many important newspapers, especially for the later years, are not included. Now includes several post-1922 papers.
19th Century U.S. Newspapers offers full text of about 500 newspapers.
Civil War: a newspaper perspective (Accessible Archives) includes full text of over 11,000 articles (including over 700 graphic images), Nov. 1, 1860 - Apr. 30, 1865. Drawn from the New York herald, the Charleston mercury, and the Richmond enquirer. Also on CD-ROM.
LOCATION: Documents (Lamont): CD-ROM Doc E468.C578 1994x
Civil War newspaper maps: a cartobibliography of the Northern daily press.
LOCATION: Map Coll (Pusey): MAP-LC GA405.5.Z99 B67 1993x
Illustrated Civil War newspapers and magazines. Full text. Includes campaign newspapers.
ProQuest Civil War Era (1840-1865) includes complete runs of: Richmond Dispatch, Charleston Mercury, New Orleans Times Picayune, Boston Herald, New York Herald, Columbus State Journal (Ohio), The Kentucky Daily Journal, and Memphis Daily Appeal.
Accessible Archives includes:
- The Civil War: A Newspaper Perspective
- The Civil War: A Midwestern Perspective
- The Liberator (1831-1865)
- National Anti-Slavery Standard (1840-1870)
- The Pennsylvania Newspaper Record (1830-1871)
Accessible Archives includes:
- The Pennsylvania Gazette (1728-1800)
- South Carolina Newspapers (1732-1780)
- The Virginia Gazette (1738-1780)
Birth of America: the year in review, 1763-1783; a chronological guide and index to the contemporary colonial press.
LOCATION: Widener: RR 3621. 13
Debating the issues in colonial newspapers: primary documents on events of the period.
LOCATION: Widener: WID-LC E187.C78 2000
Index of references to American women in colonial newspapers through 1800. Covers only the New Hampshire Gazette, 1756-1770 (v. 1) and 1771-1785 (v. 2).
LOCATION: Widener: WID-LC CS61.Z99 E92 x Library has: v. 1-2
The performing arts in colonial American newspapers, 1690 -1783, text database and index
LOCATION: Theatre Collection: TS CDRom 9 Library has: CD ROM + User's guide