Ask a Librarian for Research Help
- Ask a Librarian offers an online chat service, email help, research appointments, and FAQs.
- To meet in Zoom, use the Ask a Librarian page's Request a Research Appointment form to schedule an appointment.
- Email Mary Frances Angelini, Librarian for the Extension School firstname.lastname@example.org or Jonathan Paulo, Online Learning and Reference Librarian email@example.com for research help.
Harvard Library - Best Resources
- HOLLIS searches Harvard Library collection and a huge index of subscription content.
- HOLLIS User Guide for help searching in HOLLIS.
- Research Guides help recommend the best resources for research in specific subject areas. Best used by browsing the guides by Subject.
- Here are some research guides for HES Proseminars:
- Browse all HES Research Guides
- Databases page allows you to search for specific databases, or browse the best databases in specific subject areas.
Career and Academic Resource Center (CARC) Webinars
Spring 2023 recording:
Fall 2022 recording:
The following webinars about writing might also be helpful:
- The Harvard Extension Writing Center offers online and in-person meetings with writing tutors. Visit their website to schedule an appointment. You will also find links to additional writing resources.
- Our Citation Tools FAQ provides help with organizing your sources and producing bibliographies. Our Zotero Guide offers detailed help with installing and using Zotero, which is one of the best tools for organizing your research and formatting citations. The guide also lists upcoming Zotero workshops.
- The Making Your Sources Work For You video is a recorded CARC webinar that will help you use sources to strengthen your papers and essays.
- HarvardWrites is a resource covering the elements of academic writing.
- Finding Your Voice: Understanding academic integrity and graduate writing at Harvard, Harvard Library tutorial.
- Using Sources Effectively and Responsibly, from the Extension School, provides a variety of helpful resources.
- Interrogating Texts is a helpful library guide offering six reading habits to develop.
Fishing for Sources: Google and HOLLIS
Explore the differences between Google and HOLLIS
Save time and get research done faster
Diagnose Your Search Problems
Fix the problems of too many, too few, or irrelevant search results
Best techniques for sifting through search results
Our One-Minute Videos page provides short videos to help you with your research.
Additional Research Support
- Our Virtual Media Lab is a central hub for students and faculty to avail themselves of the full range of media support and resources, including video tutorials, workshops, and consultations.
- We offer Visualization Support, for incorporating visualization techniques into coursework, research, or teaching. In addition to scheduling consultations, there are also workshops on topics like creating effective data visualizations and using Tableau software.
- The Library Support for Qualitative Research guide helps with methodology, data management, NVivo, and more, including a list of upcoming workshops.
- The Beginner's Guide to Locating and Using Numeric Data provides support with finding and using data and statistics.
- The Research Data Management Program offers services and resources that span the research data lifecycle.