History of Education and Teacher Training Schools
This collection contains nearly 21,000 volumes of primary source materials on elementary and secondary education and teacher training in the United States. The bulk of the collection dates from 1830 to 1940.
- Records of American teacher training colleges and normal schools, arranged by state, including prospectuses, curricula, and alumni registers
- Catalogs for American children’s summer camps
- Pamphlets documenting:
- Training and compensation of teachers
- Teaching special groups, including racial and ethnic minorities and students with physical disabilities
- Growth of kindergartens
- School facilities and best practices for school hygiene
- Adult education and self-improvement
Use our Ask Us form to learn more.