Biographical Research Guide (for Harvard biography)
Biographical sketches of graduates of Harvard University, by John Langdon Sibley. Cambridge: Charles William Sever, University Bookstore, 1873- .
HathiTrust Full text vols. 1 (1642-58) - v.3 (1678-89)
HathiTrust Full text vols v.4 (1690-1700) - 17 (1768-71)
Last volume (v. 18 (1772-1774)) only in paper
Boston & New England Biography
Colonial collegians: biographies of those who attended American colleges before the War for Independence. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Historical Society; New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2005. 1 CD-ROM
Location : Harvard University Archives HUG 2881
Location : Widener Harvard Depository L903 .N38 2005x
--Covers through Class of 1774. Includes: Sibley’s Harvard Graduates -- Franklin Bowditch Dexter’s Biographical Sketches of the Graduates of Yale College -- James McLachlan et al., Princetonians -- Colonial graduates and attendees of Brown University, Columbia Medical School, Columbia University, Dartmouth College, Rutgers University, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, the College of William and Mary, and William Tennent’s Log College.
Biographical history of Massachusetts; biographies and autobiographies of the leading men in the state, by Samuel Atkins Eliot. Boston (MA), Massachusetts biographical society, 1909. 9 v.
HathiTrust full text
Who's who in New England, 1909, 1916, 1938, 1949.
Who's who in Massachusetts, 1940.
The memorial history of Boston, including Suffolk County, Massachusetts. 1630-1880, ed. by Justin Winsor. 4 v. Boston, Ticknor and Company, 1880-81
HOLLIS Record (Widener copies; there are several in other libraries).
HathiTrust Full Text
The New-England historical and genealogical register is available full text (1847-1905) in American Periodicals Series Online, 1740-1900.
Essex Institute Historical collections: subject index to volumes I-LXVII, 1859-1931.
LOCATION: Widener: US 13105.1.4
Index to the Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, 1791-1928. 3 v. Boston: The Society.
LOCATION: Widener: US 12543.1.5 = indexes
Boston Transcript Index to Obituaries 1875-1930. 5 v.
LOCATION: Widener: RR 683.5
LOCATION: Documents (Lamont): INDEX Film NC 196
Index of obituaries in Boston newspapers, 1704-1800. 3 v.
LOCATION: Andover-Harv. Theol: Ref. F73.25.C6
LOCATION: Widener: RR 683.6.5
Index of obituaries in Massachusetts centinel and Columbian centinel, 1784-1840
LOCATION: Widener: RR 683. 6.10 Library has: 5 v.
HathiTrust full text
Obituaries (not death notices) in the Boston Globe and the Herald for 1932-41 and 1953-2010 are available online in the Obituary Database
Bibliographies of New England History
LOCATION: Widener: WID-LC F4.Z99 C65 x
--Numbered entries arranged by city/town. Subject index by entry number.
- v. 1. Massachusetts, a bibliography of its history, 1976. Internet Archive online version
- v. 2. Maine, a bibliography of its history, 1983. Internet Archive online version
- v. 3. New Hampshire, a bibliography of its history, 1983. Internet Archive online version
- v. 4. Vermont, a bibliography of its history, 1981. Internet Archive online version
- v. 5. Rhode Island, a bibliography of its history, 1983. Internet Archive online version
- v. 6. Connecticut, a bibliography of its history, 1986. Internet Archive online version
- v. 7. New England: a bibliography of its history, 1989. Internet Archive online version
- v. 8. New England: additions to the six state bibliographies, 1989. Internet Archive online version
- v. 9. Further additions, to 1994, 1995. Internet Archive online version