As you see, the Library has adopted a new format for research guides.
Citation Tools Classes
Comparison Tools Class: Tuesday, September 15th, 2:00-3:30 PM, Lamont B30
Zotero: Tuesday, September 22nd, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM, Lamont B30
EndNote: Thursday, September 24th, 3:30-5:00 PM, Gutman 302
RefWorks: Wednesday, September 30th, 3:00-4:00 PM, Lamont B30
More information on citation tools: http://guides.library.harvard.edu/cite
Houghton Library - May 20 - September 5th
Such a Curious Dream! Alice's Adventures in Wonderland at 150
Make sure to stop by the virtual or physical exhibit celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, at Houghton Library. The exhibit is in the Edison and Newman Room (the room just to the left when you enter Houghton).
Pusey Library, Maps Collection - June 16 - October 15
The Ancestry of the Mother Road: Mapping Route 66
Trace one of the best-known routes across the US and its place in American cultural history through representations of the route itself and various iconic points along the way.
New News Sources
Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984) (formerly through 1945 only)
Japan Times Archives (1897- currently 2014) is the longest running English paper in Japan
Newsday (1940-1986). Long Island newspaper of record.
Scotsman (1817-1950) Originally a radical newspaper
Ancestry Library Edition. Open the menu under Search and choose Card Catalog, then under Filter by Collection, hit Newspapers & Periodicals, then Newspapers. Includes numerous obituary and marriage indexes plus:
- African American Newspapers, 1829-1947
- Associated Press, Stories and News features, 1937-1985 includes AP news stories of national or international importance (1937-85); and Name Card Index to AP Stories, 1905-1990
- 'Happy Days' Newspaper of the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1940
- Minnesota Newspaper Headline Index. Each entry includes the name of individual, date of newspaper, and circumstances surrounding the headline.
- Stars and Stripes Newspaper: Europe, Mediterranean, and North Africa Editions, 1942-1964; Pacific Editions, 1945-1963; WWI Edition, 1918-1919.
- Several English, Scottish, Irish, Northern Irish, and Canadian newspapers
Open the Ancestry menu under Search and choose Card Catalog, then under Filter by collection, hit Military, then Photos
- WWII “United News” Newsreels, 1942-1946
Some Image Sources
Ancestry Library Edition. Open the menu under Search and choose Card Catalog, then under Filter by Collection, hit Pictures. Collections include:
- African American Photo Collection, 1850-2000
- Historic Catalogs of Sears, Roebuck and Co., 1896-1993
- Historical Postcards (U.S., UK/Ireland, Germany/Austria, Canada, Sweden, Italy, Mexico, Australia, French, Other European
- Library of Congress Photo Collection, 1840-2000 (Searching this in Ancestry yields different results than searching on the LC site)
- New York, Cartes-de-visite, 1860-1865
- Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Indian Photos, 1850-1930
- Passenger Ships and Images, and Photographs of Military Ships by the Bureau of Ships, 1914-1946
- Photographs of Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the US
- Professional Baseball Players, 1876-2004
- School Yearbooks, 1880-2012 (Also Canada, 1908-2010): Middle School-College (often include pictures of the school) for US and Canada
- UK, Civil Engineer Photographs, 1829-1923
- War Photos and Images – Several collections, 1765 - 1970
Images of America: a history of American life in images and texts offers digital versions of thousands of Arcadia books on United States local history. The books include photographs from archives, historical societies and private collections. Searchable by location, person, event, date, ethic group and organization.
ArtStor, although best known for its art contents, has many non-art images. Browsable by classification, e.g., Fashion, Costume and Jewelry, Humanities and Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Industry.
Bridgeman Images also focuses on art but also with many historical and documentary images.
Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey document important buildings, engineering works, and landscapes with photographs, measured drawings and written descriptions.
Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the best sources for costume images.
Historical Dietary Guidance Digital Collection an online collection of U.S. government diet and nutrition publications. Includes over 900 documents from the early 20th Century to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s MyPlate.
ICPSR (Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research). Social science data archive. Includes census enumerations; community and urban studies; economic behavior and attitudes; education, government structures, policies and capabilities; social indicators; etc.
Frick Art Reference Library Periodicals Index (1850 to 1960s) covers over 150 periodicals focusing on Western European and American fine arts and some decorative arts from the 4th-19th centuries.
Religion Past and Present Online is an updated translation of the 4th edition of the worldwide Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart (RGG) encyclopedia.
Blackwell Family Papers Digital Collection: "Those Extraordinary Blackwells: Leaders of Social Reform in 19th and 20th century America". Family members were important in 19th/20th century American social reform movements: abolition, women’s rights, woman’s suffrage, and temperance. Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910) was the first woman to obtain a medical degree in the US. She and her sister Emily (1826-1910), were instrumental in promoting medical education for women.
Bibliographie de la littérature française (BLF) (1998- ) offers citations for books, periodical articles and and articles in collective volumes. Retrospective conversion of earlier volumes is underway.
Cairn Pocket Encyclopedias contains works in the ‘Que sais-je?’ series. Also contains the Repères collection of pocket encyclopedias mainly on social and economic issues.
Classic Sermon Index offers a bibliography of English-language sermons, original and translated,1st century to present, with links to full text for most.
Critique littéraire is a collection of 19th century French literary criticism.
Cult of Body Online offers primary sources on sports and physical culture in Russia, 1891-1919
Leo S. Olschki eBooks Collection: Post 2000 (2000-2010) includes over 1,000 monographs and conference proceedings published by Leo S.Olschki covering humanities and social sciences. Strongest in Italian literature, history, and philosophy.
Pierre Larousse, Grand Dictionnaire universel du 19e siècle (1866-1890: 15 volumes and two Supplements)
French Revolutionary Opinions Online presents the entire corpus of public interventions by representatives in the National Convention during the trial of King Louis XVI together with other sources concerning the trial
Révolution et l'Empire includes works by Aulard, Barante, Louis Blanc, Buchez, Jaurès, Lamartine, Michelet, Quinet, Thiers ou Tocqueville and others.
SISMEL - Edizioni Del Galluzzo initial set of 57 e-books, largely essays and conference proceedings, on Mediaeval studies.
Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset consists of a collection of books, journals and maps related broadly to the Himalayas and its outlying attached ranges